The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Girls Soph the other night. Held ball (quit laughing) shortly into the fourth quarter. We'd given the ball to white at the quarter, but the arrow still said white. After a quick conference with my partner, I remembered we'd had a held ball already in that quarter, so decided the arrow was correct.
V coach doesn't agree and starts to argue, to no avail. After W1 had thrown the ball into W2 in their backcourt (with no pressure), I hear the horn and look up to see V coach standing by the bench; as if he wanted to request a correctable error.
Knowing it wasn't correctable, I ignored the horn and told the girls to play on.
Should I have stopped play to go through the motions of addressing the coach's "correctable error?"

Adam
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Girls Soph the other night. Held ball (quit laughing) shortly into the fourth quarter. We'd given the ball to white at the quarter, but the arrow still said white. After a quick conference with my partner, I remembered we'd had a held ball already in that quarter, so decided the arrow was correct.
V coach doesn't agree and starts to argue, to no avail. After W1 had thrown the ball into W2 in their backcourt (with no pressure), I hear the horn and look up to see V coach standing by the bench; as if he wanted to request a correctable error.
Knowing it wasn't correctable, I ignored the horn and told the girls to play on.
Should I have stopped play to go through the motions of addressing the coach's "correctable error?"

Adam
If he'd been a real jerk about stuff the whole game, I'd stop the game, listen to him, tell him it's not correctable, and charge him the time-out.
If he'd been mostly okay, but kind of a jerk about this one thing, I'd make the girls play on, as you did.
If he's been basically good to work with, and was obviously new and just didn't know the rules, I'd explain one more time, and then add, "if you still need to talk more, we can do that after the game."
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Tell the coach you're sure of the arrow, but just to be fair, you'll give him the next two out of three.

You'd be surprised how many coaches fall for this - or maybe you wouldn't be surprised.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

check the book

Score keepers should be keeping track in their score books... not just with the arrow.

I've had confusion before (imagine that) with the arrow deal, and went to the scorekeepers only to have them agree that the arrow had not been changed but according to their record keeping it was ...'s ball.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

Adam
IMO

Why is it not a correctable error? Sounds to me that the error was discovered before the next live ball became dead. I would have addressed his request as the table indicated by sounding the horn, and then charged him with a time out after you proved your decision.

2-10-1 and not a single mention of arrow mistakes.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Adam
IMO

Why is it not a correctable error? Sounds to me that the error was discovered before the next live ball became dead. I would have addressed his request as the table indicated by sounding the horn, and then charged him with a time out after you proved your decision.

I just deleted my post. The arrow is not a correctable error situation.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 05:48pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Tell the coach you're sure of the arrow, but just to be fair, you'll give him the next two out of three.

You'd be surprised how many coaches fall for this - or maybe you wouldn't be surprised.
Classic! I'll remember this one!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I gotta say, I'm suprised the "two-outta-three" comment ever works. If I were a coach, I'd get pissed off about it; as I'd think the official was being condescending. I suppose if a coach had been particularly obstinant the entire game, I might be able to use it. I just can't bring myself to do it.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
I gotta say, I'm suprised the "two-outta-three" comment ever works. If I were a coach, I'd get pissed off about it; as I'd think the official was being condescending. I suppose if a coach had been particularly obstinant the entire game, I might be able to use it. I just can't bring myself to do it.

You are giving coaches way too much credit. They aren't smart.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Adam
IMO

I just deleted my post. The arrow is not a correctable error situation.
Try looking at 5-8-4. The coach does have a right to go to the table and request a time-out for an alternating-possession mistake. It is listed there along with the 2-10 situations.
You should have stopped the game when the scorer's signal (the horn) sounded and gone over to hear the coach's appeal.
Of course, you would have had to tell him that it was now too late to fix it and charge his team with a time-out. Even if he had been right, we know that AP mistakes cannot be RECTIFIED once the ball has been touched inbounds. They can only be PREVENTED before the throw-in has ended.