View Single Post
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I took up officiating lacrosse a couple of years ago, and I worked with one of our state's top officials recently.

One of the key areas of his critique had to do with handling a certain transition, and he said it was probably best to backtrack several steps in that scenario. I was in full-on basketball mode when I replied, "Wait, I can do that?"

"Yeah..." he replied, incredulously. "Why wouldn't you?"

I couldn't explain it. Suddenly, I'm having a hard time defending the anti-backtracking mentality in basketball. I simply bought into, "it just doesn't look good," and yet, not only is backtracking acceptable in other sports, but it's a key part of soccer physical tests.

Granted, basketball is a smaller playing surface, and the only time I've fallen during a basketball game is while backtracking. However, the only time I've fallen during a soccer game was running forward. (I tripped on an unexpected field incline. The visiting coach quickly told me to watch for snipers.)

Okay vets, help me out. Does anyone have anything deeper than just, "it doesn't look good"?
Another thing, lacrosse and soccer have extended offensive possessions that can go back and forth for the length of the field. Basketball possessions end up being confined to a 42'/47' by 50' playing area. There is no back and forth that would cause an official to have to retreat and move forward constantly like you need to in lacrosse and soccer.