LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Video of yours truly officiating

Yes I know it's not a very good video.. But it's the best I could get
Tell me what you think please!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hnh3k0ivY

(I don't know how to embed.. Sorry)

Ps. I'm the one with the glasses who runs funny.
Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by APG; Sat Apr 04, 2015 at 11:32pm. Reason: friendly neighborhood embedder
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Without seeing the video yet...and depending on your aspirations...I would say get rid of the glasses and get contacts.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Work on moving with purpose. I mean that in two ways:

1. Don't move just to move. Saw a lot of side to side stuff as lead that did not appear to be getting you a better look.

2. Work on moving with fluidity and NEVER walk. Even if the play does not require a full on run, look like you are running.

Oh and you were correct when your partner called the foul and the clinician? told you to go under.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 09:57am
This IS My Social Life

Since You Asked........

1. Seems like effort and desire are intact. Great!

2. As T on FT, step down on the shot two steps or so to cover rebounding action--don't step away or back.

3. As T, don't walk upcourt while play is advancing ahead of you. Stay behind the play as the "trail", but don't make it look so lazy as you do so.

4. On your travel call, resist the temptation to look at your directional hand and thus turn your head away from the players on the court. Did it as T, then again as L.

5. As T, go tableside for FT's after reporting the foul. To cease the wandering after reporting, just hustle to where it is you want to end up for the FT, report the foul from there, then simply turn around and you're where you want to be with a minimum of wandering. Usually can be done real close to the confines of the approved reporting box.

6. Work on your "gait"--how you look when you walk. During dead ball, stride more confidently, with an appearance of pleasant assertiveness, with an aura of self-control (as opposed to the "lah-tee-dah" sort of saunter during the last seconds of the video.

*** Keep working on things, as we all are. And keep us posted on your progress!
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
1. Seems like effort and desire are intact. Great!

2. As T on FT, step down on the shot two steps or so to cover rebounding action--don't step away or back.

3. As T, don't walk upcourt while play is advancing ahead of you. Stay behind the play as the "trail", but don't make it look so lazy as you do so.

4. On your travel call, resist the temptation to look at your directional hand and thus turn your head away from the players on the court. Did it as T, then again as L.

5. As T, go tableside for FT's after reporting the foul. To cease the wandering after reporting, just hustle to where it is you want to end up for the FT, report the foul from there, then simply turn around and you're where you want to be with a minimum of wandering. Usually can be done real close to the confines of the approved reporting box.

6. Work on your "gait"--how you look when you walk. During dead ball, stride more confidently, with an appearance of pleasant assertiveness, with an aura of self-control (as opposed to the "lah-tee-dah" sort of saunter during the last seconds of the video.

*** Keep working on things, as we all are. And keep us posted on your progress!
In my state, we go opposite table side as trail... But yes, I've been trying to work on my posture and stance.. I look a little awkward out there.. That's about the only thing I don't know how to fix
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
In my state, we go opposite table side as trail... But yes, I've been trying to work on my posture and stance.. I look a little awkward out there.. That's about the only thing I don't know how to fix
I think there are two things - that at first seem contradictory - that contribute to this "awkwardness" (your word, not mine).

First of all, I think you are way to stiff. Probably doesn't help that you know you are being filmed, and presumably evaluated. However, your posture needs to look more relaxed. It almost looks like you are trying not to bend your knees when you are running, and your movements look very robotic.

Second, you need to stand up straight, limit your movement, and hustle more.

These probably all sound contradictory, and I would guess that some of your current posture is from getting told by one person to "stand up straight" and someone else to "relax." I've had both of those things said to me, and it took me years to figure out that these were contradicting statements.

Try to incorporate this into your movements:

- Stand up straight when you are not running. Shoulder back, chest out. Chin up. Move your head and your eyes to see; you don't need to "pace" band and forth. Only move when you need to get a better angle.
- When you have a visible count, make it crisp. Keep your arm parallel to the ground.
- When you are running to a new position on the floor, RUN. Bend your knees, bend your arms, and pick up your feet. Run to the new position and STOP. Then stand like you practiced in point one above.

If you run to the proper spot on the floor, you should be in a good position to officiate the play. Hustle more on the front side of the play, and limit your movement once you are there.

I've been watching the NBA officials more closely this year and am impressed by how well they do this. Watch them and copy their movement.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 04:11pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

@kstiles99, you're getting some great feedback here to improve your game. Kudos to you for having the guts to post it for responses. Not an easy thing to do!
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 08:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Run and move athletically. Watch the younger officials in NBA and NCAA games. I'm about to hit 51, but when it comes to movement, I try to copy the young hotshots.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Word of advice for future videos you have shot of yourself.....get the action.

It's helpful to see yourself, and to work on how you look, but how you call a game is more important. A wider shot can help you review plays/positioning.

I only watched the first minute or so.

- Get the number of the fouling player before taking off. I've always thought looking back at the play looks bad.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Nice Jim from 'The Office' moment at 5:14 tho
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

a little thing, but try not to carry your whistle around in your hand when you are moving to report a foul or go to a spot on the floor (either put it in your mouth or let it hang on the lanyard). It helps you walk more with a purpose and look more credible if both your hands are free.

This was something a clinician pointed out to me last summer that I didn't even realize I was doing -- it was a hard habit to break.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 01:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
a little thing, but try not to carry your whistle around in your hand when you are moving to report a foul or go to a spot on the floor (either put it in your mouth or let it hang on the lanyard). It helps you walk more with a purpose and look more credible if both your hands are free.

This was something a clinician pointed out to me last summer that I didn't even realize I was doing -- it was a hard habit to break.
I've heard the same thing, someone told me it looked like I was hanging on to my blankie.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

The best tip I was ever given regarding my foul call sequence was to practice the 3 bangs; 1 bang is the fist in the air with a whistle, 2nd bang is preliminary signal, third bang is either pointing to the OOB spot, or signal two shots. These three bangs should be performed with your feet firmly planted and not while walking. This gives you time to gather the info you need like number of the fouler and ensuring you have the correct shooter. This also forces you to SLOW DOWN!

I have also had to remind my self not to pace, so I second that opinion as well. Get to your spot and set up. If you need to move to improve your angle, do so in short quick bursts, and don't peek around the corner!

Last edited by ballgame99; Mon Apr 06, 2015 at 03:20pm.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

First and foremost, you're to be commended for putting yourself out there on here This is a tough crowd...

These are all from the first foul call sequence:

1. Stop ball-watching (we all do it sometimes).

2. When you went up with the foul call you had a fist. For some reason right before you started heading to report it changed to an open hand which made it seem as though you changed your mind about the foul.

3. I know you saw the three players in black come in as you were about to report since you said something to them...yet you continued reporting. When they don't stop, tell them again. Apart from being a T, letting players come in without being beckoned is a good way to end up with more than five on the court for one team.

Other stuff:

*When play went to the other end the first time, at the 1:09 mark you closed in quickly to the lane line as the player in black drove down the middle. Think about staying wider in those situations. You'll see more of the play.

*You closed down (moved closer to the lane) while a shot was in the air at 2:15. Same thing as the previous comment.

*During the possession that ended with the travel at 3:45 you seemed pretty locked in to one spot on the floor as the T. Don't be afraid to move, just make sure you're moving to improve. You can also get a few steps closer to the end line. Officiate what's in front of you not what you're afraid might happen if the play goes the other direction. They're young. We're not (though you're probably WAY younger than me . They're going to beat us sometimes.

*On the foul call at 3:56 ask yourself something: Did White #6 push the defender or did she hit her? I ask because you gave the push signal when reporting and as an assignor of mine once said that's our bailout signal when we know something illegal took place but we aren't sure what it was It was a foul, no doubt. Just make sure you signal what they actually did.

Keep working hard!
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 02:03pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
2. When you went up with the foul call you had a fist. For some reason right before you started heading to report it changed to an open hand which made it seem as though you changed your mind about the foul.
Pretty sure he was throwing up the deuces indicating two shots.