The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Question Should the travel rule be overhauled/rewritten?

Basically, do those in charge want to allow "two steps" on drives to the hoop?

Because if they don't, we as officials (at every level) need to reevaluate how we call the game. Spin moves on the gather, drives to the basket, "Euro-steps", etc....are travels almost every time, and they're called approximately never. And when they are called, even when accurate, are met with disdain from players, coaches, announcers, etc...because traveling is so rarely enforced as written.

I have no problem if the rule is changed to match the NBA wording, and including the phrase "two steps" on drives to the basket (or something of that nature), because it looks good/natural, doesn't effect play and is essentially being called this way anyway.

Are you guys OK with simply continuing to ignore the rule and just adapting how the game is called?

Last edited by MechanicGuy; Sat Mar 28, 2015 at 01:03am.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 12:58am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post

Because if they don't, we as officials (at every level) need to reevaluate how we call the game. Spin moves on the gather, drives to the basket, "Euro-steps", etc....are travels almost every time, and they're called approximately never. And when they are called, even when accurate, are met with disdain from players, coaches, announcers, etc...because traveling is so rarely enforced as written.

I have no problem if the rule is changed to match the NBA wording, and including the phrase "two steps" on drives to the basket (or something of that nature), because it looks good, doesn't effect play and is essentially being called this way anyway.

Are you guys OK with simply continuing to ignore the rule and just adapting how the game is called?
As someone who isn't a basketball official, I think the way officials are instructed to call it should be reflected in the rule itself.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 08:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm OK with it the way things are. They don't nitpick it. Nobody involved IN the game seems to expect otherwise.

I was at the B1G tourney and it was funny watching entire fanbases given traveling signals from the crowd...while coaches didn't say anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 09:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

Years ago, I was working a kids rec tourney and one of the players was the son of NBA player Kenny Carr. Kenny was in the bleachers watching the game. When the point guard from the other team would bring up the ball, Kenny would chant "TRAVEL, TRAVEL" over and over. After this happened a few times, I went over to him and said, "Kenny - you play in the NBA. How would you know what a travel is?" He laughed and didn't bring it up again.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have no problem if the rule is changed to match the NBA wording, and including the phrase "two steps" on drives to the basket (or something of that nature), because it looks good/natural, doesn't effect play and is essentially being called this way anyway.

The euro-step is not a travel if done properly.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I don't want the rule to change simply because I don't want to have to acknowledge that fans are correct when they yell "HE GETS TWO STEPS!"
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Yep, and it's done correctly far more often than the spin move is.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm aware. And it's harder to see the difference than it is on spin moves, which is a travel more than 90% off the time imo.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm aware. And it's harder to see the difference than it is on spin moves, which is a travel more than 90% off the time imo.
I think that number is exaggerated a bit.

I also see officials see a spin move and just call it a travel, which is worse than letting a few go that actually are, but hard to see. If you don't pick up the pivot foot, you can't call a travel.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think that number is exaggerated a bit.

I also see officials see a spin move and just call it a travel, which is worse than letting a few go that actually are, but hard to see. If you don't pick up the pivot foot, you can't call a travel.
Ehhhh, I think it's pretty accurate. It's rare that I see a player wait until they have their "in motion" foot on the ground before gathering the ball.

I've been testing myself over the past several months, but calling them live and then rewinding the DVR to get a second look, and 9/10 I'm calling them accurately.

It's fairly unique, even unnatural, NOT to gather too early on a spin move.

That said, many are close enough that I'd pass in a game. But those that aren't close are still almost never called.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 11:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Are all of these travels?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZGCfKvlTI
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Our supervisors around here tell us that if we need to watch them in slow motion several times over then don't call it. We aren't in the business of splitting hairs
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Our supervisors around here tell us that if we need to watch them in slow motion several times over then don't call it. We aren't in the business of splitting hairs
If I need to watch it in frame-by-frame to see it, I agree. If I can see it live and confirm it with slow motion, that's different.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 02:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If I need to watch it in frame-by-frame to see it, I agree. If I can see it live and confirm it with slow motion, that's different.
I hate when an official cas the travel and people on here say I can only see it in slow motion so it wasn't a good call.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Mar 28, 2015 at 02:35pm.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 02:32pm
In Time Out

Quote:

totally agree. If I see a player make a good spin move I'm not going to call it unless I see that extra step or pivot coming down. Euro step has to be watched because players can do that James Harden type when the pivot comes down. I missed one like that.
I've said this before but I've seen refs call too many travels on quick plays, by that I mean when the player catches the ball and makes a move right after. Either a drive to the basket, or a fake then go. Sometimes the ball isn't released but other times the refs seem like they weren't ready for that fast of a move and they call a travel when it's not.