The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Shot clock - Vir/MSU

Watching the Virgina / MSU game, and at about 10:15 in the 2nd half, an MSU player made a (horrible) pass to the post that actually hit the rim. Didn't notice at the time, but I was curious if the shot clock should/would have been reset?

What IS the rule with the shot clock? Is it black-n-white: ball hits the rim, clock gets reset?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Watching the Virgina / MSU game, and at about 10:15 in the 2nd half, an MSU player made a (horrible) pass to the post that actually hit the rim. Didn't notice at the time, but I was curious if the shot clock should/would have been reset?

What IS the rule with the shot clock? Is it black-n-white: ball hits the rim, clock gets reset?
The shot clock is reset when a try for goal strikes the ring or flange. Assuming this play was not ruled to be a try for goal, the shot clock would not be reset.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 03:40pm
Esteemed Participant

The easiest way to think of it is to remember that it is called a "shot" clock. As posted abone, it must be a shot attempt...errant passes should not result in a reset.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Just for completeness sake, under NBA rules, the shot clock always resets when the ball hits the rim of the team in possession of the ball and the ball comes from the playing area (as in the ball is inbounds). No need to judge if it's a try.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Mar 22, 2015 at 10:53pm. Reason: further clarification
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 10:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Just for completeness sake, under NBA rules, the shot clock always resets when the ball hits the rim and the ball comes from the playing area (as in the ball is inbounds). No need to judge if it's a try.
That's really the way it should be for the other rule sets. I don't see any reason to only reset on a try.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 11:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
That's really the way it should be for the other rule sets. I don't see any reason to only reset on a try.
Because NCAA coaches and ADs don't want errant passes considered a shot, thus penalizing the defense.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 11:18pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Because NCAA coaches and ADs don't want errant passes considered a shot, thus penalizing the defense.
I would wager most deflected passes that hit the rim go to the defense so the point is moot. I wonder if this is something the coaches actually asked for, or it was just written that way initially and they never changed it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 01:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I would wager most deflected passes that hit the rim go to the defense so the point is moot. I wonder if this is something the coaches actually asked for, or it was just written that way initially and they never changed it.
Coaches and ADs write the rules.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 01:38am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Coaches and ADs write the rules.
I'm aware.