The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm having trouble locating rules on how/when the shot clock is reset. Does anyone know them off the top of their head?
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

NF has no shot clock, although individual states may make their own shot clock rule. I am familiar with women's NCAA provisions, because we use them for HS and AAU girls ball.

1. 30 sec clock
2. No 10 sec. backcourt count
3. Can get a five sec. closely guardd count in backcourt
4. Clock resets when
- ball hits rim of offensive team's basket
- ball is kicked
- offensive player is fouled
- defense achieves team control of ball
5. Shot/try must be released before shot clock expires
6. Once try is legally relaesed, ball can hit rim after clock expires and play continues with shot clock reset - players and refs must know that play does not stop on horn if shot clock expires with ball in air
7. Mechanically speaking, I believe the proper reset signal is extending index finger upward and making a small circle in the air (about head level)
8. Shot clocks must be equally visible to each team (cannot favor one end of the court ove another with positioning of clock)

Having a shot clock requires careful instruction to the timer and gives the officials one more thing to monitor. Being aware of situations that may lead to a clock operator erroneously resetting (especially airballs and balls that hit backboard but not rim) is important. Check clock on every shot release so you can get it right if it is erroneously reset and offense rebounds.

I hope you are doing 3 man, cause I know when I have seen it with two-man it gets hard to keep track of that in addition to everything else. Mistakes will be made and not caught.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
NF has no shot clock, although individual states may make their own shot clock rule. I am familiar with women's NCAA provisions, because we use them for HS and AAU girls ball.

1. 30 sec clock
2. No 10 sec. backcourt count
3. Can get a five sec. closely guardd count in backcourt
4. Clock resets when
- ball hits rim of offensive team's basket
- ball is kicked
- offensive player is fouled
- defense achieves team control of ball
5. Shot/try must be released before shot clock expires
6. Once try is legally relaesed, ball can hit rim after clock expires and play continues with shot clock reset - players and refs must know that play does not stop on horn if shot clock expires with ball in air
7. Mechanically speaking, I believe the proper reset signal is extending index finger upward and making a small circle in the air (about head level)
8. Shot clocks must be equally visible to each team (cannot favor one end of the court ove another with positioning of clock)

Having a shot clock requires careful instruction to the timer and gives the officials one more thing to monitor. Being aware of situations that may lead to a clock operator erroneously resetting (especially airballs and balls that hit backboard but not rim) is important. Check clock on every shot release so you can get it right if it is erroneously reset and offense rebounds.

I hope you are doing 3 man, cause I know when I have seen it with two-man it gets hard to keep track of that in addition to everything else. Mistakes will be made and not caught.
Hawks:

Just to clarify things for others; if using woments NC2A 5 sec. closely guarded count (both FC and BC) only applies when holding ball).....
Old Fri Jan 17, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Thanks

That was news to me. I did not know that - I thought it was both holding and dribbling.

So essentially, A1 can hold for 4.9 secs, dribble for 20.1 secs, hold for another 4.9 secs, and release the ball and make contact with the rim before SC expires and we have no violations on this play, even if they are closely guarded the whole time.

Just one more reason to scratch my head at NCAA women's rules. Who comes up with this stuff and why?
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
That was news to me. I did not know that - I thought it was both holding and dribbling. So essentially, A1 can hold for 4.9 secs, dribble for 20.1 secs, hold for another 4.9 secs, and release the ball and make contact with the rim before SC expires and we have no violations on this play, even if they are closely guarded the whole time. Just one more reason to scratch my head at NCAA women's rules. Who comes up with this stuff and why?
We have the 30-second shot clock for girls basketball here in Washington State. Yes, there is no 5-second count when a girl is dribbling. With the 30-second clock, it's pretty rare that a girl dribbles more than 5 seconds because they are constantly working for a good shot since time is limited. I officiated a 4A girls varsity tonight and we never had one shot clock violation - I don't think we even ever got under 5 seconds. BTW, a held ball is another shot clock reset.

Z
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

I thought that (in NCAA rules, anyway), in a held ball situation, with AP where the ball does not change possession, the shot clock is NOT reset.

eg. Team A has possession with 15 secs on the shot clock. A1 and B1 get in a tie-up. Possession arrow points to Team A. Team A gets the ball, but no reset.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Shot clock

Hey Zebraman, I'm in WA state too - Kitsap county area. Thanks for the information.

Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I thought that (in NCAA rules, anyway), in a held ball situation, with AP where the ball does not change possession, the shot clock is NOT reset.

eg. Team A has possession with 15 secs on the shot clock. A1 and B1 get in a tie-up. Possession arrow points to Team A. Team A gets the ball, but no reset.
I don't know the NCAA rule, but in girl's high school play in Washington State, any held ball is a shot clock reset regardless of whether there is a change in possession.

Z
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
I don't know the NCAA rule, but in girl's high school play in Washington State, any held ball is a shot clock reset regardless of whether there is a change in possession.
Interestingly, the NCAA rule is that the shot clock is reset on any held ball (2-13-6c), with two exceptions (2-13-7d and 2-13-7h); one of which is a held ball that occurs when there is team control and the arrow favors the offensive team.

I found that out the hard way, by missing it on the ECAC test last year.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

whose call is a shot clock violation?

NFHS (MA):
Do you treat a shot clock violation the same as a last shot situation in terms of who (trail or lead) determines if a violation occurs? This should not be a double whistle situaiton right? If the shooter does not beat the shot clock and is on the perimeter, does the inbounds spot go to the spot where the ball was shot from or the spot where the ball is when it lands?
I have been advised to not to sound my whistle at the end of quarters as the horn is self explanatory and a coach may think you have a foul if you whistle. thoughts on this?
Do you sound your whistle for the shot clock violation?

thanks
GTW
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: whose call is a shot clock violation?

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
NFHS (MA):
Do you treat a shot clock violation the same as a last shot situation in terms of who (trail or lead) determines if a violation occurs? This should not be a double whistle situaiton right?
In a 2-whistle game, the trail official has primary responsibility for the shot-clock. If the trail official is unsure or does not sound the whistle, then the lead official should definitely call it. So you may have a double whistle, but probably should not.

Quote:
If the shooter does not beat the shot clock and is on the perimeter, does the inbounds spot go to the spot where the ball was shot from or the spot where the ball is when it lands?
I'm not exactly sure if you mean that the shot has not left the shooter's hand, or that the shot is out of the shooter's hand but fails to hit the rim. If the ball is still in the shooter's hand when the shot-clock horn sounds, then the ball is inbounded at the nearest spot to where the player was.

If the ball is released, but fails to hit the rim, then I think the answer is the same. I just looked it up in the NCAA rulebook, and all it says is that the inbound spot is the spot closest to where the violation took place. I'll have to check another source.

Quote:
I have been advised to not to sound my whistle at the end of quarters as the horn is self explanatory and a coach may think you have a foul if you whistle. thoughts on this?

I agree with that advice. The only time you'd need to blow the whistle at the end of a period is if you need to emphatically wave off a basket or something like that.

Quote:
Do you sound your whistle for the shot clock violation?
Yes.

I'll get back to you on the shot clock violation inbound spot as soon as possible.

Chuck