The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock - Vir/MSU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99571-shot-clock-vir-msu.html)

Danvrapp Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49pm

Shot clock - Vir/MSU

Watching the Virgina / MSU game, and at about 10:15 in the 2nd half, an MSU player made a (horrible) pass to the post that actually hit the rim. Didn't notice at the time, but I was curious if the shot clock should/would have been reset?

What IS the rule with the shot clock? Is it black-n-white: ball hits the rim, clock gets reset?

La Rikardo Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danvrapp (Post 958753)
Watching the Virgina / MSU game, and at about 10:15 in the 2nd half, an MSU player made a (horrible) pass to the post that actually hit the rim. Didn't notice at the time, but I was curious if the shot clock should/would have been reset?

What IS the rule with the shot clock? Is it black-n-white: ball hits the rim, clock gets reset?

The shot clock is reset when a try for goal strikes the ring or flange. Assuming this play was not ruled to be a try for goal, the shot clock would not be reset.

rockyroad Sun Mar 22, 2015 03:40pm

The easiest way to think of it is to remember that it is called a "shot" clock. As posted abone, it must be a shot attempt...errant passes should not result in a reset.

APG Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:42pm

Just for completeness sake, under NBA rules, the shot clock always resets when the ball hits the rim of the team in possession of the ball and the ball comes from the playing area (as in the ball is inbounds). No need to judge if it's a try.

AremRed Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 958818)
Just for completeness sake, under NBA rules, the shot clock always resets when the ball hits the rim and the ball comes from the playing area (as in the ball is inbounds). No need to judge if it's a try.

That's really the way it should be for the other rule sets. I don't see any reason to only reset on a try.

Raymond Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958822)
That's really the way it should be for the other rule sets. I don't see any reason to only reset on a try.

Because NCAA coaches and ADs don't want errant passes considered a shot, thus penalizing the defense.

AremRed Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 958830)
Because NCAA coaches and ADs don't want errant passes considered a shot, thus penalizing the defense.

I would wager most deflected passes that hit the rim go to the defense so the point is moot. I wonder if this is something the coaches actually asked for, or it was just written that way initially and they never changed it.

Raymond Mon Mar 23, 2015 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958833)
I would wager most deflected passes that hit the rim go to the defense so the point is moot. I wonder if this is something the coaches actually asked for, or it was just written that way initially and they never changed it.

Coaches and ADs write the rules.

AremRed Mon Mar 23, 2015 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 958844)
Coaches and ADs write the rules.

I'm aware.