The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 08:31pm
In Time Out

NC State vs Villanova (Video 2/2)

Roughly 2:15 to go in game. NC State gets whistled for a foul giving Villanova a three point play. What was called? It seemed like it was called by the trailing official. What's he looking at from that angle?
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

He called a push in the back, which there might have been but it was slight. Sure came in from a long, LONG way from a deep trail to call that push a foot from the baseline on the center's side
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 08:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
He called a push in the back, which there might have been but it was slight. Sure came in from a long, LONG way from a deep trail to call that push a foot from the baseline on the center's side
Part of why I'm asking is that it looked like if there was any contact, it was with the Villanova player between him and the shooter.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Part of why I'm asking is that it looked like if there was any contact, it was with the Villanova player between him and the shooter.
The NC State's player's hand was definitely near his back, just not sure how much a push there was. But if there was one, the trail had easily the best angle despite the distance.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you guys on this one. If the T is going to come screaming in to get a foul here, it better be an elephant. This was no elephant. The look on the L's face was, "dude, seriously?"

I have a DVR and I stopped it here before the announcers could announce anything. Played it a few times to try and guess what was going to get called. I thought if anything the V shot would be good, and then V would get the ball for the common foul by NC St. on the player between the NC St. player and the shooter. But then I thought, "this would be a very odd call for an emphatically closing trail official to make." Sure enough, he called the foul in the act of shooting.

About a minute later the same official called a travel on a V player in the paint. That was technically a good call, but there hadn't been too many of those types of calls in the game, and here we were with three minutes left. Hmmm

Between that call and the one before, Jay Wright almost lost it. If there hadn't been a chaplain on the bench, he just might have.

Probably not this official's finest few minutes. I think he got a little caught up in the emotion of the game. Been there, done that, and I get a little better every time I'm in that kind of scenario. And then I move up a level and the learning curve gets even steeper.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'm with you guys on this one. If the T is going to come screaming in to get a foul here, it better be an elephant. This was no elephant. The look on the L's face was, "dude, seriously?"

I have a DVR and I stopped it here before the announcers could announce anything. Played it a few times to try and guess what was going to get called. I thought if anything the V shot would be good, and then V would get the ball for the common foul by NC St. on the player between the NC St. player and the shooter. But then I thought, "this would be a very odd call for an emphatically closing trail official to make." Sure enough, he called the foul in the act of shooting.

About a minute later the same official called a travel on a V player in the paint. That was technically a good call, but there hadn't been too many of those types of calls in the game, and here we were with three minutes left. Hmmm

Between that call and the one before, Jay Wright almost lost it. If there hadn't been a chaplain on the bench, he just might have.

Probably not this official's finest few minutes. I think he got a little caught up in the emotion of the game. Been there, done that, and I get a little better every time I'm in that kind of scenario. And then I move up a level and the learning curve gets even steeper.
Well, the first call, which the OP is about, was very much in Nova's favor, so I doubt that had much to do with Wright's whining. I did notice him, on consecutive timeouts, walk right past his players to get in an official's face.

Seems like a joy to officiate in front of
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 11:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I called the travel from my couch. Absolutely the right call. Some people gotsta work real hard to rip on a crew when they get one right.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 01:26am
In Time Out

This is probably an obvious question for most of you, but I just want to clarify:
-Team A has the ball and loses possession.
-The ball is loose.
-Loose ball ends up in a held ball.

If the arrow is for Team A, they get possession with the shot clock where it's at.
If the arrow is for Team B, they get possession with a new shot clock.

Is that correct?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 07:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is probably an obvious question for most of you, but I just want to clarify:
-Team A has the ball and loses possession.
-The ball is loose.
-Loose ball ends up in a held ball.

If the arrow is for Team A, they get possession with the shot clock where it's at.
If the arrow is for Team B, they get possession with a new shot clock.

Is that correct?
It depends.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please re-evaluate your thinking on this. Just because no one had traveled in the first 37 minutes, you are going to let a player get away with breaking a basic rule, gaining an unfair advantage that leads to an easy bucket late in a close game?
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 04:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It depends.
Without knowing exactly how the rule works, I'd think that any use of the possession arrow coming from a held ball should result in a fresh shot clock for the team with the arrow in every circumstance. Based on the end of this game, that's obviously not the case.

I could potentially see keeping the shot clock where it's at in the case of a ball getting caught between the backboard and the rim.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I could potentially see keeping the shot clock where it's at in the case of a ball getting caught between the backboard and the rim.
If it lodges that means it hit the rim.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 04:32pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If it lodges that means it hit the rim.
True. Unless it's an errant pass, right? ;-)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Please re-evaluate your thinking on this. Just because no one had traveled in the first 37 minutes, you are going to let a player get away with breaking a basic rule, gaining an unfair advantage that leads to an easy bucket late in a close game?
Well hold on, that's not what I implied. I meant there had been several travels either passed on or not seen. For the sake of consistency (which I know you, as a coach, desire), I have to take this into consideration.

If it's the first time I see it or we've made a point of calling it the whole game, than yes, absolutely I have a travel here. And it was a travel; that I'm not denying.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2015, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Without knowing exactly how the rule works, I'd think that any use of the possession arrow coming from a held ball should result in a fresh shot clock for the team with the arrow in every circumstance. Based on the end of this game, that's obviously not the case.
I'm not sure why BadNewsRef said, "it depends," though I'm sure he had a technical reason. But in essence, what you listed was correct. No re-set if the team in control has the arrow. There's no "change in possession" so it's just as if the ball was deflected out of bounds by the defense.