The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:42pm
In Time Out

I think the reactions following the event allayed any chance of a T being called (hmm is allayed used right there? )

But what if the EW player had gotten up and in the GT player's face. The cause of that incident would have been the initial contact. You know what would have happened if that was the case? Refs would go to the replay and I can assure you a Tech would be called on the GT player. If I'm playing a game, or in any games I ref, if someone does what the Georgetown player did, there is likely going to be an argument and heated tempers. In this case there wasn't but I still can't see how you don't call a T here. I'm just totally miffed why some of you think what the refs is ok. the Georgetown player was wrong and there should have been a whistle for it. Preventive officiating.
Yes, an ejection would have been too much.

Last edited by mutantducky; Fri Mar 20, 2015 at 01:44pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

FYI...they did go to replay...and came to the conclusion of no T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
But what if the EW player had gotten up and in the GT player's face.
Tech on EW.

Quote:
I'm just totally miffed on how some of you think what the refs did not calling anything is ok. What the Georgetown player did was wrong and there should have been a whistle for it. Preventive officiating.
Simplify this... were is actions intentional? No. Therefore, BY RULE, no grounds for a foul call (of any kind). Be miffed at the way the rule is worded if you must... but by the rules currently in existence, a call here would be incorrect.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Tech on EW.

Simplify this... were is actions intentional? No. Therefore, BY RULE, no grounds for a foul call (of any kind). Be miffed at the way the rule is worded if you must... but by the rules currently in existence, a call here would be incorrect.
Exactly...unless the contact rises to the level of FF1 during a live ball, it can't be a T in this place. Similar contact WELL after the whistle, however, could be considered unsporting and be a T, but not such contact immediately after the whistle. The player can't be expected to completely freeze on the whistle.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
... If I'm playing a game, or in any games I ref, if someone does what the Georgetown player did, there is likely going to be an argument and heated tempers. In this case there wasn't but I still can't see how you don't call a T here. I'm just totally miffed why some of you think what the refs is ok. the Georgetown player was wrong and there should have been a whistle for it. Preventive officiating.
The play was clumsiness, not maliciousness. If the most of us see nothing wrong, and the officials in the game (after replay review) saw nothing wrong, then maybe you need to calibrate your thinking as an official.

Also, the ability to keep his cool, like the player involved, is probably of the intangibles that got him a D1 scholarship.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I just want to point out that what is excessive contact (which is the part of the intentional rule we're probably using in calling a T) during a live ball is different than what is excessive during a dead ball. i don't think you can use the mindframe of "well if it wasn't an intentional personal foul, then it won't be be technical foul." What is excessive depends on context of when the contact occurs.

Example...live ball and I swipe down hard on the arm of the dribbler in an attempt to steal the ball. Foul

I do the same thing after the ball is CLEARLY dead...five seconds after a whistle...that's probably going to get a T 9/10 times.

As to the video...I can live w/o there being a T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I just want to point out that what is excessive contact (which is the part of the intentional rule we're probably using in calling a T) during a live ball is different than what is excessive during a dead ball. i don't think you can use the mindframe of "well if it wasn't an intentional personal foul, then it won't be be technical foul." What is excessive depends on context of when the contact occurs.

Example...live ball and I swipe down hard on the arm of the dribbler in an attempt to steal the ball. Foul

I do the same thing after the ball is CLEARLY dead...five seconds after a whistle...that's probably going to get a T 9/10 times.

That is merely your opinion. You have nothing written in the rules to support your personal stance that there is a difference between live and dead ball intentional/excessive contact.
Furthermore, my opinion is that you are incorrect. The standard is the same by rule.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is merely your opinion. You have nothing written in the rules to support your personal stance that there is a difference between live and dead ball intentional/excessive contact.
Furthermore, my opinion is that you are incorrect. The standard is the same by rule.
And that's your opinion which has no rules backing. I already provided the citations in the thread way back when.

So, you do it your way, and others will do it their way.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing I said is not supported by rule...I just stated the real world expectation/interpretation. Contact being ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant almost always deals with deciding whether to T or ignore contact that occurs at or near the time the ball becomes dead.

Watch any college game where there's a dead ball contact T...I guarantee you that a good percentage of those plays, the contact, if it would have occurred during a live ball would NOT be called a FF1...but they would be backed up by rule and their supervisors cause the contact was excessive for the situation...even if it wouldn't be for a live ball.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would say that the difference is carried in the word "excessive."

Quote:
Full Definition of EXCESSIVE
: exceeding what is usual, proper, necessary, or normal
What is excessive when the ball is in play and entitled to try to steal the ball is flat out different from what is excessive when the ball is dead (clearly dead, not continuous play) and the player has no business trying to swipe at the ball in the first place. What is excessive when a player is battling for position for a rebound is flat out different form what is excessive when players are walking back to the bench after a time out has been signalled and they have no business making any contact at all. When the ball is dead, very little contact is "usual, proper, necessary, or normal," so it doesn't take as much contact to be "excesive."
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing I said is not supported by rule...I just stated the real world expectation/interpretation. Contact being ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant almost always deals with deciding whether to T or ignore contact that occurs at or near the time the ball becomes dead.

Watch any college game where there's a dead ball contact T...I guarantee you that a good percentage of those plays, the contact, if it would have occurred during a live ball would NOT be called a FF1...but they would be backed up by rule and their supervisors cause the contact was excessive for the situation...even if it wouldn't be for a live ball.
Nope, you are still giving your personal opinion. What you have now called "the real world expectation/interpretation."
Please cite the text of the rule. What terminology does the rule use for the the dead ball contact standard?
We need to officiate according to the rules, not what you think is appropriate.
We had this same discussion a few weeks ago. You were wrong by rule the and still are now.
There is no rule extant instructing the officials to judge contact one second after the ball becomes dead differently from contact five or ten seconds later. The rule is written to cover ALL dead ball contact without regard to the timeframe.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Mar 20, 2015 at 02:29pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Please cite the text of the rule. What terminology does the rule use for the the dead ball contact standard?...
c. Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in.
6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (see Rule 4-18.7)

e. Contact dead ball technical foul. A contact dead ball technical foul occurs when the ball is dead and involves contact that is unnecessary, unacceptable and excessive, but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2
contact technical foul.

Next subject...

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Mar 20, 2015 at 03:04pm.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, you are still giving your personal opinion. What you have now called "the real world expectation/interpretation."
Please cite the text of the rule. What terminology does the rule use for the the dead ball contact standard?
We need to officiate according to the rules, not what you think is appropriate.
We had this same discussion a few weeks ago. You were wrong by rule the and still are now.
Just because you say I'm wrong doesn't make it so. The rule says contact is to be ignored unless intentional or flagrant. Nothing more...nothing less. Nothing about dead ball contact having to equate to a intentional/flagrant personal foul.

But then we have to ask what is intentional or flagrant. For the most part, this is going to deal with excessive contact during a dead ball. We almost never officiate in absolutes...what is excessive in one situation would be common foul in another.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

In the NFHS rules, it just says "unless intentional or flagrant". Both of those are defined, but I don't disagree that the threshold for what's excessive may be different based on whether the ball is live or dead, or even how long it's been dead. I'll have to ponder that a bit, though.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In the NFHS rules, it just says "unless intentional or flagrant". Both of those are defined, but I don't disagree that the threshold for what's excessive may be different based on whether the ball is live or dead, or even how long it's been dead. I'll have to ponder that a bit, though.
And that's my point...what meets the threshold for intentional during a live ball doesn't always carry over to a dead ball....that threshold is going to be a lot lower when the ball is clearly dead...where opponents have no real reason to be causing physical contact.