The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Eastern Washington v Georgetown (Video)

Can someone please pull the smack across the face of an Eastern Washington player from Georgetown at approximately 4:50 in the 1st half?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:33pm
NFHS Official

Can't believe it wasn't at least a FF1. However the ball was dead so that may have something to do with it. Not a NCAA rules guy.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:34pm
In Time Out

are you talking about the incident after the travel?

That was shocking. What were the refs thinking? We were debating whether or not that could be an ejection, and they don't call anything. I'm totally confused. They can replay that. I'm sorry. But if they could look at the replay and didn't call anything, then they should not be doing another game in the tournament.
Would it be a flagrant technical?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I am mutantducky-I am shocked too that 3 NCAA tournament caliber officials decided not to call that at least a flagrant 1.Is there any rules justification for a flagrant 2 here?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:42pm
NFHS Official

What's the rule on dead ball contact in NCAA? I sure thought it was an intentional swing.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

From my seats this appeared to be the case:

The Georgetown player was excited after the travel and made a celebratory gesture which happened to make contact with the opponent as he got up. It was completely unintentional and the two covering officials understood that.

They informed the EWU coach of what they saw BEFORE going to the monitor and made no call after the review.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:52pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

The Georgetown player was excited after the travel and made a celebratory gesture which happened to make contact with the opponent as he got up. It was completely unintentional and the two covering officials understood that.

They informed the EWU coach of what they saw BEFORE going to the monitor and made no call after the review.
I can see that. Looks like he was going to hit his own chest. Really close though.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Hopefully this is the case. If not, that's a really bad miss. A lesson on dead-ball officiating, regardless. My first thought was it should have been a contact dead ball technical.

It has never made sense to me why some officials call traveling and then turn away, walking down the court while they are signaling.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see it again but looking at it live it certainly looked intentional.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 01:44am
In Time Out

I saw the replay several times. For NFHS at least it would be a technical and some refs would have ejected him. I was just totally miffed by the no-call. Reggie Miller was against an ejection but even he thought something should be called.

btw off-topic, but the number of ads is killing. I'm kind of skipping a lot of the games. I also think there is some conspiracy that despite there being 3 games going on at once, they all seem to go to break at the same time....
There has to be 20-30 minutes more ads than there used to be.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

First, I like for the Trail to keep his eyes on the players while giving his traveling signal.

That said, I have nothing on this play except a bunch of clumsiness.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 09:55am
Stubborn Member

I don't believe the G'town player intended to hit the EW player, it was just a product of his excitement. Unless something happened before that would make you believe the action was intentional, I have nothing. Seeing the EW player's reaction after getting up and acknowledging the G'town player makes me think the call was correct too.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

So, because the ball is dead - the travel call having come previous to the slap in the face - that the contact was not considered to rise to the level of intentional or flagrant, it is no-called?

If that is the case, what if the same contact happened during a live ball situation? It seems to me, that with the emphasis on contact above the shoulders, then such contact would be ruled a common foul. Thoughts?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:07am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
So, because the ball is dead - the travel call having come previous to the slap in the face - that the contact was not considered to rise to the level of intentional or flagrant, it is no-called?

If that is the case, what if the same contact happened during a live ball situation? It seems to me, that with the emphasis on contact above the shoulders, then such contact would be ruled a common foul. Thoughts?
The non-fighting reaction is a way to show that the previous call was correct, not that it led to the call or non-call. If the EW player had gotten up and was ready to retaliate with a slap or hit of his own, then I'd look again and see if I'd missed something that happened earlier.

Again, I'm not saying the lack of reaction leads to the call, but using that helps to see if the previous call was correct or not.

BTW... what slap to the face? The G'town player hit the EW player in the chest.

Oh, and I'm a Syracuse fan, and do not like G'town.