The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Big Sky Semi-Leaving the bench (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99507-big-sky-semi-leaving-bench.html)

The_Rookie Sat Mar 14, 2015 08:22am

Big Sky Semi-Leaving the bench

Big Sky Semi-Finals...

The senior put Montana on his back, drove past Quinton Upshur with almost too much ease, and put in a layup with 0.4 seconds left to send Montana to the Big Sky title game, 61-59.

There was major drama after the shot, however, as an ineligible Montana transfer in street clothes darted onto the floor on Gregory's shot with time still left. He dove off the floor, then officials had to stop play while NAU was inbounding the ball.

Yanku's eventual desperation heave missed (and Montana oddly gave him plenty of space to shoot it), then NAU coach Jack Murphy got into it with Montana's head man Travis DeCuire. Reporters said the Big Sky officially stated Murphy was being investigated for the incident.

Thoughts?

Nevadaref Sat Mar 14, 2015 08:32am

Sounds as if bench personnel illegally entered the court and it interrupted the throw-in (playing action). The NCAA rule is that is a technical foul.
Put NAU on the line with a chance to tie.

frezer11 Sat Mar 14, 2015 09:56am

http://youtu.be/qSSytvWuFqI

Sorry, I don't actually know how to embed clips

You can just barely see the UM player diving off the court at about the 20 second mark

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16am

Oh wow. The transfer student had HS rules on his mind. Forgot that the clock stops in NCAA.

I wouldn't investigate the NAU coach too hard because he had a very good beef. The officials had to blow the whistle to address the transfer student's interruption, which means it interfered with play, which means it should have been enough to assess a Class B Tech under 10-2.8:

Art. 8. Team followers (fans, bands, cheerleaders and mascots associated with either team) shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following: ....
....d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to, followers entering the playing court before the player activity has been terminated. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.

NAU should have received two free throws, and then the ball via POI under MT's basket with 0.4s remaining.

Whoops.

mutantducky Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:58pm

article about it. I wonder if the refs saw it. Can they review this? It seems like they were on the monitor.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nsues-on-court

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 14, 2015 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957792)
The officials had to blow the whistle to address the transfer student's interruption, which means it interfered with play, which means it should have been enough to assess a Class B Tech under 10-2.8:

It's not often I get to quote myself. Usually someone beats me to it. :D

Reading the article and watching the video with sound, you can definitely hear the buzzer go off. Looks like the clock didn't stop. So the Big Sky can at least pretend that the ruling was correct in that the transfer student didn't really interfere with play and that the reason play was stopped was for a monitor review.

But sheesh, that guy was almost at the semi-circle before he dove back to the bench. Hard to say that didn't interfere with play.

InsideTheStripe Sat Mar 14, 2015 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 957821)

Reading the article and watching the video with sound, you can definitely hear the buzzer go off. Looks like the clock didn't stop. So the Big Sky can at least pretend that the ruling was correct in that the transfer student didn't really interfere with play and that the reason play was stopped was for a monitor review.

But sheesh, that guy was almost at the semi-circle before he dove back to the bench. Hard to say that didn't interfere with play.

Mistake or no mistake, there's no license for the 'offended' coach to incite a melee in the handshake line.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:56am

Quote:

I hope that the conference releases a statement on this.
The whistle comes BEFORE the buzzer and certainly after this young man has run out onto the court.
After watching the video, I believe that a technical foul was fully warranted.
The behavior of both coaches afterward was childish and embarrassing.

Nevadaref Sun Mar 15, 2015 02:25am

Justice occurs in that Eastern Washington defeated Montana in the championship game played in Missoula, MT.

bwburke94 Sun Mar 15, 2015 05:08pm

No mistake, this is a T. The officials blew it.

Adam Sun Mar 15, 2015 05:46pm

Quote:

There's no way the clock didn't stop. The officials put .4 second back on after video review, and that amount of time would have expired before the ball was even OOB for the throw in. The horn doesn't seem to go off until the ball is in play.

I don't see how this isn't a T, but that's up for the Big Sky to tell it's officials. Seems obvious to me, though.