The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

The last 1.9 seconds of Georgetown/Xavier

....following the unintentionally made FT.

Table blows the horn as the ball is inbounded....and confusion and hilarity ensued.

I think the officials missed a sub at the table, which started everything.

Might be worth a look.

FoxSports1, fwiw.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Xavier had a sub waiting.
Clock was reset to 1.9 and there were then several substitutions made.
The officials had to check if any of them were re-entering without time coming off the clock, which caused a delay. Once that was sorted out, Xavier inbounded and was fouled with 1.3 left.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, Xavier had a sub waiting.
Clock was reset to 1.9 and there were then several substitutions made.
The officials had to check if any of them were re-entering without time coming off the clock, which caused a delay. Once that was sorted out, Xavier inbounded and was fouled with 1.3 left.
I followed all of that, but it was a mess that could have and should have been avoided.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2015, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
I followed all of that, but it was a mess that could have and should have been avoided.
It could have been, I watched the game and everyone expected the free throw shooter to intentionally miss the free throw and when he made it everyone was shocked and then nearly everyone forgot there was a substitute at the scorers table.

That wasn't a mess, the mess was that the final two minutes took 22 minutes to play. Incessant fouling, followed by incessant timeouts accompanied by endless substitutions made the final two minutes take forever. The substitution rule where you are allowed to substitute on the make must be changed.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Or you could just reduce the shot clock so teams didn't have to start fouling so early and limit the number of timeouts in the last 2 minutes.

Take away some of the coach controlled aspect of the game and kids will speed the game up on their own.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Or you could just reduce the shot clock so teams didn't have to start fouling so early and limit the number of timeouts in the last 2 minutes.

Take away some of the coach controlled aspect of the game and kids will speed the game up on their own.
Certain to be addressed by the rules committees this year. End-of-game lethargy has reached critical mass and everyone knows it. Networks are giving 2½-hour slots for games and they're still spilling over into the next timeslot. A college basketball game should not take as long as an NFL football game.

But sadly the coaches have enough votes on the rules committee to keep the timeout rules intact, so I think tinkering with the shot clock is the only thing you could do, and that will have a marginal impact at best. The timeouts are the real culprit.

That said, regardless of end-of-game concerns the shot clock needs to drop to promote more offense. Considering they're experimenting with that in the NIT this year, I think that means it will get adopted this summer. The only reason it was ever 35 was just to be different from the women, which is the epitomy of stupid. Change it, accept it, and make the game more fun to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the year in which the lane gets widened as well (especially considering there is already a groundswell to do this even at the NFHS level). As for the RA, we're probably still a year or two away from it expanding to a 4ft radius.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
So could have most of life in general. I guess sh!7 continues to happen, and in the grand scheme of things they missed a sub.