The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Georgetown-St. John's final closing seconds

Anyone see the Georgetown-St. John's game tonight? They're going into overtime now, but with less than 30 seconds left, Georgetown was up 2 and missed a FG. St. John's came down with the ball, and bobbled it. The player recovered it, falling out of bounds, jumped in the air as he was falling out of bounds and called time out- the ref standing a few feet away granted it. Despite the fact this was clearly against the new rule, the time out stood. St. John's ended up tying the game. Thoughts?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't see the game. Sounds like a misapplication of a rule.

Are you sure that the player didn't have one foot on the floor and that he was completely airborne?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

BTW St. John's won 59-56 in OT.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Falling out of bounds is legal to have a timeout granted. Airborne is a different story.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

"Summers missed a jumper with 17 seconds left in regulation that could have given Georgetown a four-point lead. Thomas grabbed the rebound and called a timeout although it appeared he was in the air when he called it. Thomas, whose 16 points were a career high, was fouled with 2.3 seconds to go and made them both to force the overtime." -- Associated Press

Georgetown vs. St. John's - Recap - March 03, 2009 - ESPN
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5 / Scoring and Timing Regulations
Section 12. Timeouts Not Granted
Art. 1. No timeouts shall be granted:
a. To the opponents of the throw-in team after the throw-in starts.
b. During an interrupted dribble.
c. To a player or coach when an airborne player’s momentum is carrying him/her out of bounds or into the backcourt.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I once had a sitch in which I was trail, table side, near A's bench. A1 falling OOB. Coach calls timeout. Then again louder. Then again more louder. Sort of a timeout, TimeOut, TIMEOUT. I was close enough to hear the 1st timeout request and granted the timeout. This ocurred in the closing seconds of a tight game. The timeout everyone heard was TIMEOUT with A1
already OOB.
Something similiar may have happened in this sitch if the play was near an official.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I once had a sitch in which I was trail, table side, near A's bench. A1 falling OOB. Coach calls timeout. Then again louder. Then again more louder. Sort of a timeout, TimeOut, TIMEOUT. I was close enough to hear the 1st timeout request and granted the timeout. This ocurred in the closing seconds of a tight game. The timeout everyone heard was TIMEOUT with A1
already OOB.
Something similiar may have happened in this sitch if the play was near an official.
Very good point! Once a season I have to tell a coach that his nonchalant signal/voice makes it very difficult for us to properly grant the request. A little more effort on his part makes the request that much more obvious to us.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe the player verbalized it while "on the floor," and followed with the hand signal after going airborne.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

The other possibility is that if the player was indeed airborne, it is considered an IW, no TO is granted, the ball is given back to the team last in control at the time of the whistle (St. John's), but then the coach or player could still request the TO at that point. What happens, in effect, is the official screwed Georgetown out of a turnover, and St. John's still got to request a TO during the dead ball.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think we need to note to new or rookie forum followers that we are talking about NCAA rules in this thread and not NFHS rules. In NFHS games it is permissible to call for and be granted a time out while a player is airborne and going out of bounds. See casebook play 5.8.3 Situation D.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
I think we need to note to new or rookie forum followers that we are talking about NCAA rules in this thread and not NFHS rules. In NFHS games it is permissible to call for and be granted a time out while a player is airborne and going out of bounds. See casebook play 5.8.3 Situation D.
Honestly, if that has to be pointed out, that is rather sad in my opinion.

It is very clear we are talking about a college game.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly, if that has to be pointed out, that is rather sad in my opinion.

It is very clear we are talking about a college game.

Peace
Yeah, but a rookie/newcomer might not know that the ruling is different per NFHS rules set.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yeah, but a rookie/newcomer might not know that the ruling is different per NFHS rules set.
Then they need to use a little bit of common sense and read the rule or at the very least ask a question how this relates to the high school level. Do we have to tell newer officials that the two 3 point lines do not apply to high school as well?

Some things should not have to be pointed out to you. That is why they have the rulebook in the first place.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then they need to use a little bit of common sense and read the rule or at the very least ask a question how this relates to the high school level. Do we have to tell newer officials that the two 3 point lines do not apply to high school as well?

Some things should not have to be pointed out to you. That is why they have the rulebook in the first place.

Peace
If they were working on a court that had both sets of lines I personally wouldn't assume that a rookie knew which line applied and for which rules set. But that's JMHO.

And based on some the questions asked by some posters I wouldn't assume everyone is in possession of a rule book.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 04, 2009 at 02:09pm.
Closed Thread