The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Yes another backcourt question

Did a search thru threads and didn't see this question, at least not 2 pages worth. Nor do I have my rule books here at work.

A1 dribbling ball in backcourt. A2 is straddling 10 second line (both feet on the floor with left foot in FC and right in BC)

A1 passes to A2 who catches it as she stands as noted above.

A2 establishes her right foot as her pivot (in BC) and brings her left foot up and down into the BC then back to the FC.

IIRC, no violation?

(At least until 10 seconds are up....)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:50am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Did a search thru threads and didn't see this question, at least not 2 pages worth. Nor do I have my rule books here at work.

A1 dribbling ball in backcourt. A2 is straddling 10 second line (both feet on the floor with left foot in FC and right in BC)

A1 passes to A2 who catches it as she stands as noted above.

A2 establishes her right foot as her pivot (in BC) and brings her left foot up and down into the BC then back to the FC.

IIRC, no violation?

(At least until 10 seconds are up....)
FC status is never established here. (NFHS)

Did this get called against you recently.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 152
No violation.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Did this get called against you recently.
Spectator at girls JV game the other night. 2 man JV crew.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 574
It would be GREAT the NFHS and NCAA would simplify the backcourt violation rule…even State Final level officials screw up the rule often.

(btw - based on your description…no violation).
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:30am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
It would be GREAT the NFHS and NCAA would simplify the backcourt violation rule…even State Final level officials screw up the rule often.

(btw - based on your description…no violation).
Curious, what sort of simplification would you like to see that would fix this particular issue?

I've actually never seen anyone make this call.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've actually never seen anyone make this call.
You wouldn't believe some of the calls we see at the JV/freshman level.
  • A1 under A1 basket for throw in. Throw in in pass sails thru A2's hands into the BC. A2 retreives with a TWEET! BC violation.
  • A1 shooting second free throw. Ball stops dead on the flange and doesn't come down. Arrow pointing at team A. But "it's automatically B's ball on that play coach"
  • A1 fumbles ball trying to catch a pass, then picks it up, pivots a couple times then starts dribbling. TWEET!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
You wouldn't believe some of the calls we see at the JV/freshman level.
....[/LIST]
Yes I would, for the same reason you see subpar basketball at that level.

It's a training ground.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes I would, for the same reason you see subpar basketball at that level.

It's a training ground.
Excellent response

For some.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:44am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
You wouldn't believe some of the calls we see at the JV/freshman level.
  • A1 under A1 basket for throw in. Throw in in pass sails thru A2's hands into the BC. A2 retreives with a TWEET! BC violation.
  • A1 shooting second free throw. Ball stops dead on the flange and doesn't come down. Arrow pointing at team A. But "it's automatically B's ball on that play coach"
  • A1 fumbles ball trying to catch a pass, then picks it up, pivots a couple times then starts dribbling. TWEET!
First one I see called about once a season in a freshman game.
Second one I haven't seen, but I've heard guys talk who had that idea.
Third one I see called now and then.

Your OP, however, I've never seen called. I'm not shocked you did, for reasons BNR noted.

I just don't think any rule simplification would solve this.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Curious, what sort of simplification would you like to see that would fix this particular issue?

I've actually never seen anyone make this call.
I have, not often, however.

I'd be in for some form of simplification. I have some ideas but I'm not sure they're really any better.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:20pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have, not often, however.

I'd be in for some form of simplification. I have some ideas but I'm not sure they're really any better.
I just want them to fix the damned team control issue with regard to the backcourt rule.

We can start there.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just want them to fix the damned team control issue with regard to the backcourt rule.

We can start there.
Yep...too me that's the only BC rule wording that causes confusion.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:28pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just want them to fix the damned team control issue with regard to the backcourt rule.

We can start there.
What's the issue again?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:52pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
What's the issue again?
Team Control on a throw-in only applies to foul categorization purposes, not for BC rulings. It is not delineated in the rule book.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt question Dave9819 Basketball 17 Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:11pm
Yet another backcourt question DenverRef Basketball 7 Fri Jan 13, 2012 03:30pm
Backcourt question (sorry) Hardwood Basketball 8 Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:52am
backcourt question timharris Basketball 7 Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:14pm
Another backcourt question Dupe Basketball 8 Tue Feb 18, 2003 03:12pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1