The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Yet another backcourt question

Guys, help me with this. I 'm new and still confused about the division line and need clarification.

1. A1 dribbles the ball into the frontcourt with both feet and the ball. A1 continues to dribble, backs up slightly and one foot barely touches the division line with his heel.

2. A1 dribbles the ball into the frontcourt with both feet and the ball. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is touching the division line with his heel.

Backcourt violation NFHS?

Does the ball and both feet have to have BC status as well to be a violation?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

The backcourt includes the entire division line...the three point exceptions only applies to a dribbler going from the backcourt to the frontcourt.

And to answer your questions (sorry about not doing so at first):

1. BC violation
2. BC violation
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 12:14am.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:15am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRef View Post
Guys, help me with this. I 'm new and still confused about the division line and need clarification.

1. A1 dribbles the ball into the frontcourt with both feet and the ball. A1 continues to dribble, backs up slightly and one foot barely touches the division line with his heel.

2. A1 dribbles the ball into the frontcourt with both feet and the ball. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is touching the division line with his heel.

1. Violation
2. Violation

No.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply. So that brings me to this next point.

What if A1 (after having FC status) fumbles his dribble along the div line in the FC, steps on the line and then back in to the FC retrieve the loose ball? I'm assuming this would be legal.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So that brings me to this next point.

What if A1 (after having FC status) fumbles his dribble along the div line in the FC, steps on the line and then back in to the FC retrieve the loose ball? I'm assuming this would be legal.
It depends...if the fumble touches the division line, then any subsequent touch by Team A would be a BC violation (unless Team B touches it first after it touches the division line).

If you meant he fumbled it, but the ball remained in the FC, then it would be legal...player location is determined by the last place the player touched. So in your scenario, the step on the line would have A1 in the backcourt, then the next step in the FC would have A1 in the frontcourt.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Your rules questions have been answered already. But you need to remember that there is no "barely" touching of the sidelines, end lines, or division lines. They were either touched or not touched.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 03:32pm.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This sounds oh so familiar. Were you @ RC on Wednesday? Did I email you about this yesterday?
If so, what part of the rules did you not understand??
Old Fri Jan 13, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

You might try this idea

For this type of BC violation, where FC status was established by A, I think it may help you if you consider the division line like an end line or side line. If A touches any of those lines (with the ball, their feet,...) then he/she has violated.

This also helps to make the call when B bats a ball from A and it deflects off A's body...goes into the the BC and A is the first to touch it, then you have a BC violation. If a batted ball went off A's leg and went OOB, you would award it to B. Not exactly the same, I know, but I think you get the idea.

Last edited by Art N; Fri Jan 13, 2012 at 03:33pm.