The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2015, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oklahoma/Iowa State Act of Shooting? (Video)

Somewhere between 5:10 and 5:20 in the first half on ESPN. Iowa State fouls late in the shot clock, ball was awarded OOB.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:14am
We don't rent pigs

no shot

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Given the shot clock was nearing 0, I think that in the act of shooting.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:18am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post

I don't see bailing him out just because the team allowed the shot clock to run out.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

I think the only question under NCAA-M rules is whether you think the shooter has started his upward motion. I think it's close, but I would have given the shooter the benefit of the doubt here. Any other rule set, I have the shooter easily in the act of shooting.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Absolutely...the shot clock is about to expire. 999/1000 times, if that player is rising, he's doing so to try and beat the shot clock. One of the things thought at levels using the shot clock regularly is that you should use the shot clock as a way to keen in on your game awareness as to what will most likely happen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I don't see bailing him out just because the team allowed the shot clock to run out.
You're bailing out the defender for being stupid and having his hand in the proverbial cookie jar with a second left on the shot clock...instead of being punished completely by putting a guy on the line, putting this sideout gives the defender a virtual mulligan. Using the shot clock to dictate your game awareness in this situation, it should be clear that the offensive player is meaning the shoot here. The only fallback one could have, under NCAA-M rules, is perhaps the offensive player was fouled a split second before he started his upward motion. That would be the calling official's only cop out.

The defender is going to feel a sigh of relief that he didn't commit a cardinal sin of bailing out an offensive player....especially with under two on the shot clock.

Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:26am
We don't rent pigs

The guy had lost control of the ball, and if you don't think he lost control then he committed an illegal dribble. He barely had regained control when the foul occurred. I don't see a try here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The guy had lost control of the ball, and if you don't think he lost control then he committed an illegal dribble. He barely had regained control when the foul occurred. I don't see a try here.
He momentarily loses control of the ball (via probably the defender hitting the ball...not that it actually even matters in this case)...regathers the ball with two hands on the ball...starts to rise...then gets hit on the forearm...which causes him to lose the ball again.

Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
he momentarily loses control of the ball (via probably the defender hitting the ball...not that it actually even matters in this case)...regathers the ball with two hands on the ball...starts to rise...then gets hit on the forearm...which causes him to lose the ball again.
+1.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 01:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
He momentarily loses control of the ball (via probably the defender hitting the ball...not that it actually even matters in this case)...regathers the ball with two hands on the ball...starts to rise...then gets hit on the forearm...which causes him to lose the ball again.
I see a slightly different sequence. Defender lunges forward while the ball is loose. Contact occurs as control is recovered, before any upward movement that I could see as a shot.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:08am
AremRed

Shooting foul. Clock is almost at 0, he isn't doing anything else.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:16am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Shooting foul. Clock is almost at 0, he isn't doing anything else.
Offensive players have been known to lose track of the clock.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:22am
AremRed

Quote:
Offensive players have been known to lose track of the clock.
So? It's pretty clear he hasn't lost track of the clock here.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2015, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm putting him on the line.

Plus, if I'm the official in the video, I'm contacting my neurologist to see why my whistle and arm seem to have an echo. What is with the multiple whistle and fist pump? It looks silly. It wasn't like it was in a double coverage area where it was possible his partner was going to have something different.