The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 10:17am
AremRed

I didn't think releasing the officiating reports was going to be a good thing but the reception has been better than I thought. I thought it would be a big deal and fans would be ripping the NBA but the general response has been "meh, calls get missed." Looks like a big positive for the NBA so far. We'll see how it goes in the playoffs though.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I'm not going to put a microscope on any of my plays or cut video frame by frame. But I agree that we are now in the age of technology-driven accountability.
I observed two of my friends working a state tournament game a few nights ago. Lead official was watching two players, A1, and B1, contesting a rebound. B1 has good inside position. A1 bumps B1 trying to get the rebound. Both players reach for the ball and the ball goes out of bounds off B1's fingers. Lead calls out of bounds on A1 and gives the ball to B for a throwin.

This is an "old school" call, the Lead figuring that giving the ball to B makes up for not calling the pushing foul on A1. Thirty-plus years ago, this was considered the "correct" compromise call.

We can't do this anymore. With most games being taped, and with almost everyone in the bleachers having a video recorder in their cell phone, we can't get away with this anymore.

We have to fish, or cut bait. Either call the pushing foul on A1, or call the push incidental, and correctly call the out of bounds off of B1, and give the ball to A for a throwin. In my opinion, a third choice (getting out of the boat) no longer exists.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 08, 2015 at 11:25am.