The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The rationale is that they don't want secondary defenders just running to a spot so near to the basket and not try and "play" some type of defense. When I say play, I mean try and make some play on the ball....because the rules allow a player to try and block the shot.

I'm a fan of the RA...and that's coming from a guy that wouldn't benefit from an RA at the HS level.
It was sold to us when FIBA made is as a safety issue and to increase offense. They wanted offensive players to be willing to try to make athletic plays to the rim without being worried about being undercut or losing landing areas to late defenders.

I guess in theory what they expected to happen was players who couldn't get outside the RA in time would just get out of the way. I have personally seen 0 reduction in collisions in the paint, but that may simply be because other then University or elite level club ball they don't use it here. So often kids aren't familiar enough eith it to apply it properly anyway.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 04:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I hope I don't take this too far off topic...

I spent 16 years away from officiating (HS and JUCO) before returning this season. When I was trained as a young official, there was no RA at any level, yet the college guys would teach to not call a charge under the basket. The reasoning was "the defender isn't guarding anything." I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. If a defender establishes position near the basket, he can keep the offensive player from dunking or laying the ball in and force a more difficult shot. The RA seems to cater to the fans' desire to watch highlight dunks and takes away a defender's ability to guard the basket.

Can someone fill me in on the rationale behind creating the RA in NCAA?
You basically answered you own question. Coaches/ADs/Conference Commissioners comprise the rules committee.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2015, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

With halftime scores in the teens/20's of D1 games, college basketball could use some more NBA rules in the book.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
With halftime scores in the teens/20's of D1 games, college basketball could use some more NBA rules in the book.
More NBA players would help too