The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Anyone notice the name of the quoted poster in post #5. Gave me a laugh!
Got to be Billy's work again.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board.

The statement in the RULING is neither isolated from the other sentences/statements, nor is it a universal statement, but a reference to the actions in the Case play. That is, the first sentence of the RULING refers to the actions noted in the play, which are (a) . . . catches (that must be with the hand(s) . . . and (b) . . . recovers the ball (that must be with the hand(s), and dribbles again (which starts with the player holding the ball with his/her hand(s).
There is no intention in the language of the RULING for that RULING to be applied to other scenarios/plays other than that which constitutes SITUATION C. One would have to look elsewhere for a RULING regarding the ball touching another part of the body of the player involved, and whether that touching constitutes a dribble.
I tend to think that the ball touching another part of the body, other than the hand(s) of the player does not constitute a defined dribble.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Those Damn North Korean Hackers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Got to be Billy's work again.
Absolutely not. This is the second time that this happened to me in a week. The last time the poster's name was changed to the previous poster, not the poster that I quoted. The last time the problem was "fixed" by a moderator, this time I "fixed" it myself, as an act of good faith. I do not need, nor do I want, a suspension, or "time out", from the Forum during the upcoming climax of basketball season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 24, 2015 at 07:24am.