The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Pause

Two scenarios.

Free throw shooter pauses mid stroke and then shoots.

Or

Free-throw shooter goes through normal motion but at the point of releasing the ball does not release the ball. He brings it back down and then goes back up and shoes.

NOn shooting team steps into the free-throw line before the release.

Or

Both teams step into the lane before the release.

Call? Is FED same as college?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

If the shooter's motions resemble a shot and cause a player along the lane to step in, violation on the shooter.

9-1-3-b
Quote:
The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The official needs to decide whether that motion was a fake / feint (whatever the wording is).

If so, it's a violation on the shooter.

If not, it's a violation on those entering early.

Some players do take a "practice motion", so while Camron's advice is a good guideline, I don't think it's absolute.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The official needs to decide whether that motion was a fake / feint (whatever the wording is).

If so, it's a violation on the shooter.

If not, it's a violation on those entering early.

Some players do take a "practice motion", so while Camron's advice is a good guideline, I don't think it's absolute.
Agree. Those practice motions do not look like shots to me.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Two scenarios.

Free throw shooter pauses mid stroke and then shoots.

Or

Free-throw shooter goes through normal motion but at the point of releasing the ball does not release the ball. He brings it back down and then goes back up and shoes.

NOn shooting team steps into the free-throw line before the release.

Or

Both teams step into the lane before the release.

Call? Is FED same as college?
Call is same in both. Wording of rule is different. NFHS says can't "fake" a try. NCAA says can't "purposely fake" a try. NFHS you have to go to the case book note..9.3 something...it tells you that a shooter can stop his motion if he not "comfortable" and players along the lane need to hold positions…

I think Rules and the case book comment put onus on players along lane not to go in because they should be waiting for release. Only if you interpret it as a purposeful fake/ real fake/ attempt to draw them in... is violation on shooter. Clearly room for shooter to get a way with something…
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think Rules and the case book comment put onus on players along lane not to go in because they should be waiting for release.
I agree with this. Much like the onus is on a defensive lineman is to watch the ball rather than listening to a quarterback's snap count, so to is it the responsibility of the player in the lane space to confirm release by the free throw shooter rather than to assume it.

What does this mean to me? It means if I ever call a violation on the shooter for a fake, it better be so obvious that even my wife, who watches about two basketball games per year, could make the call.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I agree with this. Much like the onus is on a defensive lineman is to watch the ball rather than listening to a quarterback's snap count, so to is it the responsibility of the player in the lane space to confirm release by the free throw shooter rather than to assume it.

What does this mean to me? It means if I ever call a violation on the shooter for a fake, it better be so obvious that even my wife, who watches about two basketball games per year, could make the call.
Your analogy is not relevant. Neither the shooter (nor his team) is calling out a count that precedes the shot. It is the ball motion itself that they are watching....the same as in football. And in football, it is illegal for the center to start the motion of a snap and then stop it.

So, for basketball, where the indicator to enter the lane is the release of the ball, it should be illegal to make something look like the ball is about to be released. If the shooter has a bizarre motion that resembles the release before they actually release it, they do so at the risk it drawing a player in and being called for a violation.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Your analogy is not relevant. Neither the shooter (nor his team) is calling out a count that precedes the shot. It is the ball motion itself that they are watching....the same as in football. And in football, it is illegal for the center to start the motion of a snap and then stop it.

So, for basketball, where the indicator to enter the lane is the release of the ball, it should be illegal to make something look like the ball is about to be released. If the shooter has a bizarre motion that resembles the release before they actually release it, they do so at the risk it drawing a player in and being called for a violation.
This is how I view it as well.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Violation is to Fake. That's fraud..deceit. Higher burden to establish a fake than simply showing a bizarre motion and opponent enters.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Violation is to Fake. That's fraud..deceit. Higher burden to establish a fake than simply showing a bizarre motion and opponent enters.
If it looks funny, and draws them in, I'm calling it a fake. No "normal" shooting motion will cause an opponent to step in early. If they have that wacky of a shooting motion, they're probably not making many FTs anyway.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it looks funny, and draws them in, I'm calling it a fake. No "normal" shooting motion will cause an opponent to step in early. If they have that wacky of a shooting motion, they're probably not making many FTs anyway.
Steve Nash makes his full practice movements without the ball. If the shooter made that same movement with the ball, I'm certain that the rebounders would move into the lane, and the covering official would feel obligated to call a violation on the shooter.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Game Management

Did you notice this unusual motion during warm-up?
I watch players during the pregame warm-ups. Some players practice 3 pt shots, some practice their post moves and others practice their Free Throws. If you see this unusual motion, then you are prepared and can prep your partners before the game and possibly let players know when he is shooting Free throws. PREVENTIVE OFFICIATING