The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal Dribble? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99373-illegal-dribble.html)

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2015 04:41pm

Illegal Dribble?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 955996)
Either illegal dribble or backcourt violation.
Your choice.

How could it be an illegal dribble?

bob jenkins Mon Feb 23, 2015 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956000)
How could it be an illegal dribble?

Ended a dribble, threw the ball to the floor, touched the ball again.

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2015 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 956004)

I see no way to consider contact between the ball and the leg a dribble. It's either a kick or nothing.

BillyMac Mon Feb 23, 2015 05:52pm

Time For Pepto-BismolŪ ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956007)
I see no way to consider contact between the ball and the leg a dribble. It's either a kick or nothing.

For sake of argument, let's say the ball hit him in the stomach.

BillyMac Mon Feb 23, 2015 05:57pm

Illegal Dribble ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 956004)

The rule doesn't say he can't touch the ball again, it says that he can't dribble it again, and dribbling involves the hands.

9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended …

4-15-1: A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats
(intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once
or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own
backboard.

BigCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956007)

First dribble ended. ball flipped to floor with spin. When the same player is the first to contact the ball--with anything---that turns the flip into a dribble. you are right..hitting the leg isn't a dribble. but that is what makes the flip a dribble.

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2015 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 956013)
First dribble ended. ball flipped to floor with spin. When the same player is the first to contact the ball--with anything---that turns the flip into a dribble. you are right..hitting the leg isn't a dribble. but that is what makes the flip a dribble.

Rule citation please.

BigCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956018)
Rule citation please.

4.15 something and 9.5. These are the plays where a player ends a dribble, then throws ball against official or opponents backboard. case play says doing either is another dribble "provided..he is first to touch it."

Here, tossing it to the floor after the first dribble ended...is another dribble "provided the player first to touch it.."

If another player touches it first, the flip to the floor becomes a pass.
that's how i get there.

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2015 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 956019)
4.15 something and 9.5. These are the plays where a player ends a dribble, then throws ball against official or opponents backboard. case play says doing either is another dribble "provided..he is first to touch it."

Here, tossing it to the floor after the first dribble ended...is another dribble "provided the player first to touch it.."

If another player touches it first, the flip to the floor becomes a pass.
that's how i get there.

The case play where the dribbler bats the ball over the head of the opponent then runs around and touches it a second time specifically refers to a touch with the hands in order to have a violation. I would apply that same principle here.

BillyMac Mon Feb 23, 2015 07:39pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 956019)

4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent’s backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board.

Is there a difference between the ball touching you, and you touching the ball?

BigCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956020)
The case play where the dribbler bats the ball over the head of the opponent then runs around and touches it a second time specifically refers to a touch with the hands in order to have a violation. I would apply that same principle here.

That is a separate specific violation. 4-15-2 says you can bat ball in air provided it strikes floor before hitting it again with hand. That play is just an example of that rule. The violation is from touching it again with the hand.

Here, a first dribble ended. you now are holding the ball. you throw it to the floor few feet ahead of you. What is that? Dribble rule says dribble starts by throwing ball to floor. doesnt say how far away etc. But it could be a pass...we dont know what it was until we see what happens next. If i touch it, i call the original throw to floor a pass. if you touch it before anyone else then i call it a dribble. That's the "provided he is first to touch it" in those case plays.

What i will say about the other play is that the rule writers said words "touched" and "hand" together there. They didnt in these plays i've mentioned. That says to me it is not limited to the hand in these. thx

just another ref Mon Feb 23, 2015 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 956023)
That is a separate specific violation. 4-15-2 says you can bat ball in air provided it strikes floor before hitting it again with hand. That play is just an example of that rule. The violation is from touching it again with the hand.

Here, a first dribble ended. you now are holding the ball. you throw it to the floor few feet ahead of you. What is that? Dribble rule says dribble starts by throwing ball to floor. doesnt say how far away etc. But it could be a pass...we dont know what it was until we see what happens next. If i touch it, i call the original throw to floor a pass. if you touch it before anyone else then i call it a dribble. That's the "provided he is first to touch it" in those case plays.

What i will say about the other play is that the rule writers said words "touched" and "hand" together there. They didnt in these plays i've mentioned. That says to me it is not limited to the hand in these. thx

With regard to a dribble, I take it to mean touch as a positive action. This being as opposed to "touched or is touched by" as in a backcourt. I think in this case a dribble requires a deliberate touch of the ball.

Coach A yells to A1: "Come take the point." A2 stands holding the ball, having already used his dribble. A1 approaches. A2 drops the ball straight to the floor, to be picked up by A1. A2 starts to go one way, then changes direction and the ball brushes against his leg.

You would call this a violation?

BigCat Mon Feb 23, 2015 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 956026)
With regard to a dribble, I take it to mean touch as a positive action. This being as opposed to "touched or is touched by" as in a backcourt. I think in this case a dribble requires a deliberate touch of the ball.

Coach A yells to A1: "Come take the point." A2 stands holding the ball, having already used his dribble. A1 approaches. A2 drops the ball straight to the floor, to be picked up by A1. A2 starts to go one way, then changes direction and the ball brushes against his leg.

You would call this a violation?

I think it is a violation under the rules. When it hits his leg it makes the drop a dribble...maybe interrupted now because of the brush with the leg. We are trying to characterize the drop, not the touch.

Would I call it? A brush. no. If there was more contact like the OP I would have no problem calling it and explaining that when the player touched the ball first after throwing it or dropping it to the floor that constituted a second dribble....even though he didnt mean to be the first to touch it.

Adam Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:34pm

A dribble begins at the beginning, even if we don't know whether it's a dribble or a pass at first. Once a passer is the first to touch his pass, it's a dribble. Now, in Billy's play, it doesn't matter because it's going to be a violation whether you consider it a pass (backcourt) or a dribble (double dribble).

It is an interesting topic to consider whether you'd stick him for an illegal dribble if he did it in any other circumstance, but not in that thread. I think it's sufficiently different from the topic there that a new thread is in order.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03am

Anyone notice the name of the quoted poster in post #5. Gave me a laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jerkins