The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, okay. The more I'm reading and watching, the more I'm realizing that I'm probably wrong. I was probably over-influenced by the PSU-written article.

But I'm only going to say it once.

If the Big 10 Coordinator of Officials sees it the same way all of you do, this "young" official who "doesn't have a feel for the game" will probably have a really nice schedule next year. Took a very patient whistle and big cajones to make that call.

I do agree that the play needs a whistle. I admit I probably would have missed the "step" and instead seen to hold. Talk about a lesson in seeing the whole play. Damn.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 08:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
If the Big 10 Coordinator of Officials sees it the same way all of you do, this "young" official who "doesn't have a feel for the game" will probably have a really nice schedule next year. Took a very patient whistle and big cajones to make that call.
I met Kelly at camp last year. If his 100 D1 games in the past two years are any indication, I think he's probably gonna keep getting games. If not he can always go back to the D League and start working NBA.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:17pm
In Time Out

just asking

would anyone call a double foul here?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:20pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
just asking

No. The trip makes the ball is dead. The subsequent contact is ignored unless intentional or flagrant. It was neither.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

This was a good call. Not sure what the article was talking about when it said he went away from the screen.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I absolutely love this call!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
just asking

Nope, by rule, the ball is dead when the screener steps on the defender's foot. The grab is just a player protecting himself following illegal contact.

I hope the notice for Chamber's fine includes a short note that the official was absolutely correct.

I wish the Big Ten would come out and publicly announce the official made a great call. We see too many times when they announce an official got it wrong, or we get the "technically the right call" garbage. This is an amazing call.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Gonna cost the PSU coach some money.

http://pennstate.scout.com/story/151...-b1g-officials

Maybe someone can embed the play...timing is in the article. I saw it on TV last night as it happened...
You want to know when the conference agrees with the coach that a poor call was made but don't want to admit it?.....they fine the SCHOOL and not the COACH!

Per ESPN.com
-----------------------------------------
STATE COLLEGE, PA. -- The Big Ten Conference has fined Penn State $10,000 for comments made by head coach Patrick Chambers after a loss to Maryland on Saturday night.

Chambers was upset after an offensive foul was called on Nittany Lions center Jordan Dickerson with 1:50 left and Penn State trailing 70-68. Dickerson was trying to set a screen when he was pulled to the floor by Maryland forward Evan Smotrycz. It was Dickerson's fifth foul, so he left the game. Maryland won 76-73.

Chambers called it "the worst call that I've ever seen in my entire life". The Big Ten office says he violated the conference's sportsmanship policy.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
You want to know when the conference agrees with the coach that a poor call was made but don't want to admit it?.....they fine the SCHOOL and not the COACH!

Per ESPN.com
-----------------------------------------
STATE COLLEGE, PA. -- The Big Ten Conference has fined Penn State $10,000 for comments made by head coach Patrick Chambers after a loss to Maryland on Saturday night.

Chambers was upset after an offensive foul was called on Nittany Lions center Jordan Dickerson with 1:50 left and Penn State trailing 70-68. Dickerson was trying to set a screen when he was pulled to the floor by Maryland forward Evan Smotrycz. It was Dickerson's fifth foul, so he left the game. Maryland won 76-73.

Chambers called it "the worst call that I've ever seen in my entire life". The Big Ten office says he violated the conference's sportsmanship policy.
It's standard practice in the Big Ten to (1) fine the school and (2) not comment on the call. This tells me absolutely NOTHING.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Great call! The coach made a comment about how the defender wasn't even involved in the play, etc. You are right coach, because he got taken out by a huge illegal screen!!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great call. I only wish the B1G would come out and publicly laud the official for getting it right while shaming the coach and idiotic "analysts" in the process. But, I suppose that's too much to ask.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 10:49am

I like the call. You've got two bodies on the floor with no ability to participate in the next basketball play. Had to have a call and I like the call he made.