The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Penn State / Maryland (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99320-penn-state-maryland.html)

Rich Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03am

Penn State / Maryland

Gonna cost the PSU coach some money.

http://pennstate.scout.com/story/151...-b1g-officials

Maybe someone can embed the play...timing is in the article. I saw it on TV last night as it happened...

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 15, 2015 01:32pm

The play is now in the article.

Not sure how, even if you didn't see the hold on Maryland, you can call a foul on the offensive player when he's clearly not in control of his balance nor even facing his opponent. At the very least, if you don't see the hold, make it a no call. That said, he should have seen it; he was paying way too much attention to the dribbler (who had no one in front of him) and not enough to the obvious matchup right in front of him. Trust your partners to take care of the drive to the basket.

That's an unfortunately awful call for that official. Could be career impacting, at least in the short term.

Goes to show how important game awareness is. And it was the dude's fifth foul. Yikes.

Rich Sun Feb 15, 2015 01:58pm

For the record, I think this is an outstanding and correct call.

Welpe Sun Feb 15, 2015 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 955048)
The play is now in the article.

you can call a foul on the offensive player when he's clearly not in control of his balance nor even facing his opponent.

Easy, he tripped the defender which sent the defender to the floor. The pull down came after the trip.

Good call IMO.

BillyMac Sun Feb 15, 2015 02:19pm

I've Changed My Mind, Every Official Forum Member's Prerogative ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 955053)
Easy, he tripped the defender which sent the defender to the floor. The pull down came after the trip.

Tough call. Close call. The screener may have stepped on the foot of the defender, causing him to fall.

just another ref Sun Feb 15, 2015 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 955050)
For the record, I think this is an outstanding and correct call.

After further review, so do I.

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 15, 2015 03:13pm

I saw the PSU player step on the MD player's foot after that was mentioned (valid point), but it's still tough to wrap my head around calling a foul on PSU in this situation. Feet got tangled. Not unusual. I think the MD player could have kept his balance if he hadn't been hell bent on getting everything out of that hold that he could.

The lead signaled a foul, too. I wonder what he had? I suppose we'll never know since C sold it so quickly.

BillyMac Sun Feb 15, 2015 03:26pm

When First We Practice To Deceive (Sir Walter Scott)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 955063)
Feet got tangled.

Feet do get tangled in a basketball game, often with no fouls charged, but the fact the screener's foot ended up on top to the defender's foot means that the screener was too late getting to his spot, and thus, a blocking foul.

If it had been the other way around, the defender's foot on top of the screener's foot, then we could have a different call.

mutantducky Sun Feb 15, 2015 03:58pm

def not the worst call or anything like that. It was a tough one to officiate though. It looks like an illegal screen, but quite minor so a no call probably was in order. Then it appears the defender hooks his arm causing the players to fall.
Honestly, I don't know. I'd have gone with a no-call but if I was in that situation and see the players fall like that I think many refs would call a foul there. That would be very tough to hold the whistle.

BillyMac Sun Feb 15, 2015 04:15pm

Quite Minor Illegal Screen ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 955066)
It looks like an illegal screen, but quite minor so a no call probably was in order.

This, "quite minor", "illegal screen", ended up with two players on the floor. If nothing illegal had happened, i.e. all incidental contact, then one could pass on this play, but once one decides that something illegal happened, even if it's a "quite minor", "illegal", action, then the resulting pile of players on the floor requires a whistle, and a call.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 15, 2015 04:45pm

Great call.

Screener illegally tripped the defender and took him out of the play.

mutantducky Sun Feb 15, 2015 05:39pm

There is no doubt in my mind the ref would have passed on the illegal screen had the players not went down. Had the defender simply moved out of the way which he could have done, and played D it would have been a no-call. From what I see, the MD player is clearly grabbing the screener and causing the players to fall. Both of them are at fault here. Yeah, maybe a no-call would have been in order but like you say that doesn't really fall under the incidental variety.
It really was a no-win situation for the ref.
The Penn St coach needs to chill.

ref3808 Sun Feb 15, 2015 05:56pm

My compliments to the official. I watched the clip twice before I saw the trip. He had it all the way in real time. Good call.

And by the way coach, I don't believe that's the worst call you've ever seen.

BillyMac Sun Feb 15, 2015 06:24pm

Holy Toledo ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 955070)
And by the way coach, I don't believe that's the worst call you've ever seen.

You've got that right. At some point in his career he must have seen Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. officiate.

AremRed Sun Feb 15, 2015 07:11pm

No-call for me.