The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Jump Stop

I have been told by an NCAA official that the "jump-stop" rule is the same in NCAA as it is in NFHS as it relates to a traveling violation. That is, you cannot jump-stop and THEN step or otherwise pivot.

That said, I NEVER see this called a travel at the NCAA level. Has there been any instruction to the officials to let that go? Just really bugs me because when I call it in my HS games, the coaches ALWAYS want an explanation. I'm guessing they watch games and assume that it is legal. I'll continue to call it because it gives a huge advantage in most cases, especially a player jump stopping into the paint and then pivoting back and shooting a little fade-away.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 10:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Traveling at all levels is the most inconsistently called thing in all of basketball IMO. Never been told not to call them. Actually have seen video from the NCAA highlighting this part of the rule. I do think officials go out of their way not to call something that is so technical, but not something you hear a lot of people admit openly. I have called them at the college level just like I have called them at the HS level. But I can tell you I rarely see a jump-stop travel called at a HS game either. Most officials IMO just do not recognize when it takes place and it is often not called properly. Just like when I see an actual jump stop committed, but called improperly called for a violation.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Travelin' Man (Ricky Nelson, 1961) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Traveling at all levels is the most inconsistently called thing in all of basketball ...
It continues to be the hardest call for me, not block/charge, not tough out of bounds calls, not coaches crossing some line in the sand, not advantage/disadvantage on possible fouls. After thirty-four years, some travel calls are still a challenge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 14, 2015 at 03:51pm.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
I have been told by an NCAA official that the "jump-stop" rule is the same in NCAA as it is in NFHS as it relates to a traveling violation. That is, you cannot jump-stop and THEN step or otherwise pivot.

That said, I NEVER see this called a travel at the NCAA level. Has there been any instruction to the officials to let that go? Just really bugs me because when I call it in my HS games, the coaches ALWAYS want an explanation. I'm guessing they watch games and assume that it is legal. I'll continue to call it because it gives a huge advantage in most cases, especially a player jump stopping into the paint and then pivoting back and shooting a little fade-away.
all depends on when dribble is ended. if ended with both feet off floor he can land on two and pivot. NCAA case book play says if uncertain when dribble ends give the "benefit of the doubt" to the dribbler--that it was legal play. NCAA AR 196. Some folks just have more trouble than others seeing travel.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It all depends on how you define "jump stop".

And, I think NCAA has both definitions.

For a coach, *most of the time* it mans "gather in the air and land on both feet simultaneously." So, for a coach, *most of the time*, it's legal to pivot.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
all depends on when dribble is ended. if ended with both feet off floor he can land on two and pivot. NCAA case book play says if uncertain when dribble ends give the "benefit of the doubt" to the dribbler--that it was legal play. NCAA AR 196. Some folks just have more trouble than others seeing travel.
I understand the rule. It just seems that most of the players pick up the dribble with one foot on the floor, jump stop, and then pivot. THAT is a travel and it is rarely, if ever, called at the NCAA level, and sparingly at the HS level. Just like picking up with a foot on the floor and landing with one foot and then the other. That's a travel, but is rarely called.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand the rule. It just seems that most of the players pick up the dribble with one foot on the floor, jump stop, and then pivot. THAT is a travel and it is rarely, if ever, called at the NCAA level, and sparingly at the HS level. Just like picking up with a foot on the floor and landing with one foot and then the other. That's a travel, but is rarely called.
I hear what you are saying. As I said, some folks just don't see travel well…and frankly, some folks don't think it is an important call. When you also see NCAA say give benefit of the doubt to dribbler people lay off. I can tell you this..it doesn't help the game for me to be the only one calling travel. right, wrong etc I have to lay off at times. If team A does it in front of you and you have nothing and team B does it in front of me and I call travel it's a problem.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I honestly don't see it that often, but I call it when I do.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Don't see many players end dribble with one foot on ground and then go in the air jump stop (both feet landing at same time).

Majority of the time when they end the dribble and one foot is on ground that player comes down one-two which would also be a travel because pivot foot returned to the floor.