The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2000, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duster
Question

Hello everyone.
I am a 16 year old teenager in Kansas. I am wondering what the rest of you officials out there think of me officiating ADULT Recreation League. I did it once last year, but I was out of shape. I am in shape now thanks to wearing my bullet proof vest for about 16 hours at a time. Anyways, I need the money, but is it worth getting yelled at by people up to 3x my age?
I gave out 3 t's last year IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON, for cussing, dissent, ect. I loved it, but after that I was shakey. (Can anyone say adrenalin rush?)
Please let me know what you people think.
ALso, about the vest stuff. I am a Sheriff Cadet in Sedgwick County Kansas.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Dust,

I think that someone putting you in that situation is not looking out for you as an official. Are there not games in your area played my 5th-8th grades? I think that would be a more appropriate place for you to hone your skills and get the much needed experience to move upward and onward.

Good Luck in whatever you do!
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I agree with Ron. Unless you routinely bench press
your body weight & squat 2X your body weight stick
to the younger set. Come to think of it, even if you do
move this weight you should stick wih the younger set!
Give it a couple of years & then move up when you've gained
some experience (you obviously already have the confidence!). Good luck!
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Duster, I'm just down the street in Wichita. Working Rec leagues will give you great experience. Don't get discouraged. I've known other guys age 16 who worked rec leagues in this area. They did fine and are good officials. I think it is important you find a mentor and go to camps and clinics. I can help you in this area. Feel free to email me.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 01:41pm
Suppref

If you love it keep doing it. Don't let a bunch of frustrated atheletes deter you from having fun, or making some extra money. Besides, why would being out of shape makea difference? I don't know anyone who can outrun a sherriff's bullett!!!! Maybe you can have some of the big boys come watch you work dressed in full uniform. I'm guessing the jackasses on the floor will change their attitudes then. Have fun - Suppref
Old Sat Oct 21, 2000, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duster
Hello everyone.
I am a 16 year old teenager in Kansas. I am wondering what the rest of you officials out there think of me officiating ADULT Recreation League. I did it once last year, but I was out of shape. I am in shape now thanks to wearing my bullet proof vest for about 16 hours at a time. Anyways, I need the money, but is it worth getting yelled at by people up to 3x my age?
I gave out 3 t's last year IN THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON, for cussing, dissent, ect. I loved it, but after that I was shakey. (Can anyone say adrenalin rush?)
Please let me know what you people think.
ALso, about the vest stuff. I am a Sheriff Cadet in Sedgwick County Kansas.
I first started officiating BBall when i was about your age.
The keys that i have for you are as follows

1. Never ever say No to a game assignement. You might not think that you should be doing certain games but what ever happens never say no to your assignor.

2. I'm still only 27 and the harderst thing to do is gain the RESPECT of the players. If your able to do that, you won't have any trouble in your games. i ref an over 35 senior mens league and it ususally takes about 3-5 yrs of doing their games until they respect you enough not to question your integrity.

3. Lastly and most importantly, as a young official it is your responsibility to ask for help, not just with the rules but with game in general. Finding an individual or an educator who is willing to spend hundreds of hours discussing problems and situations with you is a key, some people say to only have one mentor, however i say have 2-3 this way you can gain different perspectives.

Above all else, have fun and keep smiling. If you treat players as an equal, they will be more inclined to do the same.

Keep smiling
SH
Old Sat Oct 21, 2000, 11:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Respect?

I really hope that you are not looking for respect by a bunch of wannabes. Who cares what they think, they think that "over the back" is an actual foul.

Old Sun Oct 22, 2000, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Respect?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I really hope that you are not looking for respect by a bunch of wannabes. Who cares what they think, they think that "over the back" is an actual foul.

I earn the respect of others i don't expect to be given, this offends some officials because they think that years of experience gives them the right to be above everyone else and not accountable to players. In a game where the skill level isn't the greatest or in a game where the players are past their prime, i have no problem communicating why i call somethings someway and others anothers. I will usually only discuss calls, where the player asks the question in a civiallized mannor. Communicating with players is the easist way to calm situations and deal with problems.

What????? "You mean that "over the back isn't a foul"? LOL

Aslong as you treat everyone as a equal you won't have any problems, and if you do it wasn't because of anything you did.
SH
Old Sun Oct 22, 2000, 08:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

I think you are getting apples and oranges mixed up. You should not respect every single official just because they have been doing this for years. Guys and gals that have been officiating for years are not always good officials. It is the things that they do on the court and the approach which for me is what is most important. And I am really not trying to gain the respect of a couple of guys that got together and decided to play basketball after their organized play is over. They do not know what they are talking about. They are the individuals that are in the stands that say stupid stuff like, "moving screen" or "call it both ways ref." Why would I care what individuals think that do not know what I am doing or not doing on the court. Before I was an official I did not understand many things about why officials called what do or what rules were accurate that I had been thinking were rules for years.

What I am trying to say is that, I am not going to hold my self evaluation up and judge myself on people that have no understanding of what officiating is or what the rules are. I would rather find respect in my actual peers and even then, I do not care what those that are not on the level that I want to be or am myself. In other words, I do not care what a lawyer thinks about me as a doctor, that is all.

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I earn the respect of others i don't expect to be given, this offends some officials because they think that years of experience gives them the right to be above everyone else and not accountable to players. In a game where the skill level isn't the greatest or in a game where the players are past their prime, i have no problem communicating why i call somethings someway and others anothers. I will usually only discuss calls, where the player asks the question in a civiallized mannor. Communicating with players is the easist way to calm situations and deal with problems.

What????? "You mean that "over the back isn't a foul"? LOL

Aslong as you treat everyone as a equal you won't have any problems, and if you do it wasn't because of anything you did.
SH
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
I started official elementry ball at the age of 13. At the age of 17, i became a full-fledged member of our association and in the past year and a half i've done close to 100 games. This year I've moved into the VARSITY category. I Also officiated the Ontario Summer games this past summer, and was the umpire in the men's bronze medal game. All i'm saying is that age has nothing to do with ability.

Tyler