View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 22, 2000, 08:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

I think you are getting apples and oranges mixed up. You should not respect every single official just because they have been doing this for years. Guys and gals that have been officiating for years are not always good officials. It is the things that they do on the court and the approach which for me is what is most important. And I am really not trying to gain the respect of a couple of guys that got together and decided to play basketball after their organized play is over. They do not know what they are talking about. They are the individuals that are in the stands that say stupid stuff like, "moving screen" or "call it both ways ref." Why would I care what individuals think that do not know what I am doing or not doing on the court. Before I was an official I did not understand many things about why officials called what do or what rules were accurate that I had been thinking were rules for years.

What I am trying to say is that, I am not going to hold my self evaluation up and judge myself on people that have no understanding of what officiating is or what the rules are. I would rather find respect in my actual peers and even then, I do not care what those that are not on the level that I want to be or am myself. In other words, I do not care what a lawyer thinks about me as a doctor, that is all.

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I earn the respect of others i don't expect to be given, this offends some officials because they think that years of experience gives them the right to be above everyone else and not accountable to players. In a game where the skill level isn't the greatest or in a game where the players are past their prime, i have no problem communicating why i call somethings someway and others anothers. I will usually only discuss calls, where the player asks the question in a civiallized mannor. Communicating with players is the easist way to calm situations and deal with problems.

What????? "You mean that "over the back isn't a foul"? LOL

Aslong as you treat everyone as a equal you won't have any problems, and if you do it wasn't because of anything you did.
SH