The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 09:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Duke/Fla St (Video)

Basket by Fla St with 11.9 left. Sure looked like a travel to me, real time and replayed, but what else is new?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that there is a trend on this board lately of dissecting plays in slo-mo to detect small traveling violations. This focus seems to miss the bigger picture involved in judging contact between large men attacking the basket.

I know that when I officiate traveling is down the list of items that I'm looking for. It is akin to 3-seconds in the lane. I'm going to get the obvious violations when it becomes the most important aspect of the play, but when other elements are primary, I'm not even considering some of these travels.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2015, 11:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Basket by Fla St with 11.9 left. Sure looked like a travel to me, real time and replayed, but what else is new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It seems that there is a trend on this board lately of dissecting plays in slo-mo to detect small traveling violations. This focus seems to miss the bigger picture involved in judging contact between large men attacking the basket.

I know that when I officiate traveling is down the list of items that I'm looking for. It is akin to 3-seconds in the lane. I'm going to get the obvious violations when it becomes the most important aspect of the play, but when other elements are primary, I'm not even considering some of these travels.
Perhaps it's a trend because these "small" uncalled violations are more and more prevalent. This was definitely the most important aspect of the play. Certain things can make a travel more obvious. He got all the way from here to here after the dribble ended with a change of direction in the middle.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Mon Feb 09, 2015 at 11:49pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Perhaps it's a trend because these "small" uncalled violations are more and more prevalent. This was definitely the most important aspect of the play. Certain things can make a travel more obvious. He got all the way from here to here after the dribble ended with a change of direction in the middle.
Well maybe you have just started watching basketball, but I see as many missed travels or improperly called travels as I ever have. We just have better video and YouTube has taken off. YouTube is only 10 years old.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:42am
Often wrong never n doubt

What about the blocking foul on Duke along the sideline in the last few minutes of the game. Seemed the defender had LGP and was just backpedaling. However I only seen it once in my sleepy state so I would like another look at it.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
What about the blocking foul on Duke along the sideline in the last few minutes of the game. Seemed the defender had LGP and was just backpedaling. However I only seen it once in my sleepy state so I would like another look at it.
You realize the video gurus need a time in order to easily find the play in question?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You realize the video gurus need a time in order to easily find the play in question?
I trust with their expertise the two minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 01:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Quote:
I trust with their expertise the two minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.
I'm sorry sir I must object to your assertion that "a few" is analogous to "two" in this situation. As the Marquette University Law School Faculty blog notes in a recent informal poll (source), people tend to have a different understanding of what quantity constitutes a "few". However, the results of their highly scientific poll seem to suggest that a "few" can be a (typically rational) quantity anywhere between and inclusive of '3' and '5'. I must therefore edit your statement as demonstrated below:

Quote:
I trust with their expertise the three to five minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.
Carry on, video scavengers.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 02:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'm sorry sir I must object to your assertion that "a few" is analogous to "two" in this situation. As the Marquette University Law School Faculty blog notes in a recent informal poll (source), people tend to have a different understanding of what quantity constitutes a "few". However, the results of their highly scientific poll seem to suggest that a "few" can be a (typically rational) quantity anywhere between and inclusive of '3' and '5'. I must therefore edit your statement as demonstrated below:

Carry on, video scavengers.
Wouldn't it have been easier to edit my original statement to say two and not few as it should have been obvious that I meant two due to my follow up statement. I actually think it was 2 minutes and some change on the clock but am not certain.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Which 2 minute window is that?

Your post said "last few minutes". Without your follow up post, that could be interpreted as anywhere in the last 5 minutes.

Good practice to be specific for those times a supervisor might ask about a play.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 10, 2015 at 03:10pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 03:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Which 2 minute window is that?

Your post said "last few minutes". Without your follow up post, that could be interpreted as anywhere in the last 5 minutes.
I would guess it was somewhere between 3 to 1 minutes remaining in the game. I do not have an exact time as I did not note it. I was half asleep when the replay of this was on around midnight my time. The post of this game reminded me of the play. If it would be of too much inconvenience to find the video without an exact time I would understand.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 09:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I have a travel all the way. This is often a missed travel but it is a travel IMO.

Left foot is the pivot and he puts it back down before the shot.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 01:08pm
In Time Out

yeah that would be a very tough one to call since he has the ball in one had so it looks like he may still dribble but his left foot was the pivot.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2015, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Almost two travels even.