The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Fla St (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99281-duke-fla-st-video.html)

just another ref Mon Feb 09, 2015 09:36pm

Duke/Fla St (Video)

Basket by Fla St with 11.9 left. Sure looked like a travel to me, real time and replayed, but what else is new?

Nevadaref Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55pm

It seems that there is a trend on this board lately of dissecting plays in slo-mo to detect small traveling violations. This focus seems to miss the bigger picture involved in judging contact between large men attacking the basket.

I know that when I officiate traveling is down the list of items that I'm looking for. It is akin to 3-seconds in the lane. I'm going to get the obvious violations when it becomes the most important aspect of the play, but when other elements are primary, I'm not even considering some of these travels.

just another ref Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 954435)
Basket by Fla St with 11.9 left. Sure looked like a travel to me, real time and replayed, but what else is new?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 954444)
It seems that there is a trend on this board lately of dissecting plays in slo-mo to detect small traveling violations. This focus seems to miss the bigger picture involved in judging contact between large men attacking the basket.

I know that when I officiate traveling is down the list of items that I'm looking for. It is akin to 3-seconds in the lane. I'm going to get the obvious violations when it becomes the most important aspect of the play, but when other elements are primary, I'm not even considering some of these travels.

Perhaps it's a trend because these "small" uncalled violations are more and more prevalent. This was definitely the most important aspect of the play. Certain things can make a travel more obvious. He got all the way from here to here after the dribble ended with a change of direction in the middle.

JRutledge Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 954446)
Perhaps it's a trend because these "small" uncalled violations are more and more prevalent. This was definitely the most important aspect of the play. Certain things can make a travel more obvious. He got all the way from here to here after the dribble ended with a change of direction in the middle.

Well maybe you have just started watching basketball, but I see as many missed travels or improperly called travels as I ever have. We just have better video and YouTube has taken off. YouTube is only 10 years old.

Peace

jeremy341a Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42am

What about the blocking foul on Duke along the sideline in the last few minutes of the game. Seemed the defender had LGP and was just backpedaling. However I only seen it once in my sleepy state so I would like another look at it.

Raymond Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 954484)
What about the blocking foul on Duke along the sideline in the last few minutes of the game. Seemed the defender had LGP and was just backpedaling. However I only seen it once in my sleepy state so I would like another look at it.

You realize the video gurus need a time in order to easily find the play in question?

jeremy341a Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 954485)
You realize the video gurus need a time in order to easily find the play in question?

I trust with their expertise the two minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.

AremRed Tue Feb 10, 2015 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 954484)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 954500)
I trust with their expertise the two minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.

I'm sorry sir I must object to your assertion that "a few" is analogous to "two" in this situation. As the Marquette University Law School Faculty blog notes in a recent informal poll (source), people tend to have a different understanding of what quantity constitutes a "few". However, the results of their highly scientific poll seem to suggest that a "few" can be a (typically rational) quantity anywhere between and inclusive of '3' and '5'. I must therefore edit your statement as demonstrated below:

Quote:

I trust with their expertise the three to five minute window I gave them would be well within their abilities without too much inconvenience and If not they can ignore my request with my full understanding.

Carry on, video scavengers.

jeremy341a Tue Feb 10, 2015 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 954513)
I'm sorry sir I must object to your assertion that "a few" is analogous to "two" in this situation. As the Marquette University Law School Faculty blog notes in a recent informal poll (source), people tend to have a different understanding of what quantity constitutes a "few". However, the results of their highly scientific poll seem to suggest that a "few" can be a (typically rational) quantity anywhere between and inclusive of '3' and '5'. I must therefore edit your statement as demonstrated below:

Carry on, video scavengers.

Wouldn't it have been easier to edit my original statement to say two and not few as it should have been obvious that I meant two due to my follow up statement. I actually think it was 2 minutes and some change on the clock but am not certain.

Raymond Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:01pm

Quote:

Which 2 minute window is that?

Your post said "last few minutes". Without your follow up post, that could be interpreted as anywhere in the last 5 minutes.

Good practice to be specific for those times a supervisor might ask about a play.

jeremy341a Tue Feb 10, 2015 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 954526)
Which 2 minute window is that?

Your post said "last few minutes". Without your follow up post, that could be interpreted as anywhere in the last 5 minutes.

I would guess it was somewhere between 3 to 1 minutes remaining in the game. I do not have an exact time as I did not note it. I was half asleep when the replay of this was on around midnight my time. The post of this game reminded me of the play. If it would be of too much inconvenience to find the video without an exact time I would understand.

APG Sat Feb 14, 2015 05:46am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/COPYAiqxExs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Sat Feb 14, 2015 09:41am

I have a travel all the way. This is often a missed travel but it is a travel IMO.

Left foot is the pivot and he puts it back down before the shot.

Peace

mutantducky Sat Feb 14, 2015 01:08pm

yeah that would be a very tough one to call since he has the ball in one had so it looks like he may still dribble but his left foot was the pivot.

Camron Rust Sat Feb 14, 2015 02:36pm

Almost two travels even.