The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
looks to me like his only movement is backwards. I don't see him moving into the path. I think the was an easy PC. The knee in the upper chest/head area seems like plenty of contact to me.
I agree his movement was backwards, but I think the shooter could have been coming from the side and jumping in a path that was going to go behind him...and the defender's backwards movement served to move him into his path. Backwards and away from the opponent are not always the same direction.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:00pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not drift back into the path of the airborne shooter who had jumped in a direction and path that would have taken him clearly by him?
This is closest to what I saw first time, full speed. My thought was: defender stepped into shooters landing zone after shooter was airborne. That may or may not be 100% accurate after dissecting it in slow-mo multiple times, but I can live with a block call here.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Tue Feb 10, 2015 at 12:02pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:15pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
I agree his movement was backwards, but I think the shooter could have been coming from the side and jumping in a path that was going to go behind him...and the defender's backwards movement served to move him into his path. Backwards and away from the opponent are not always the same direction.

From my view the moment the shooter leaves the floor the defender couldn't be much more in his path to the rim than he already is. I understand your point though.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
From my view the moment the shooter leaves the floor the defender couldn't be much more in his path to the rim than he already is. I understand your point though.
I'm not 100% on my opinion on this one, I would want to see the endline view...or the C's view. Either of those would really be the best view on this one to know what really happened. I'd normally go with PC on plays that look much like this but the L had a block and I can see enough in the video that could explain his block.

Sometimes, one video angle can be entirely misleading. There was one play in the John Adams/NCAA block/charge video from a couple of years ago that really looked like a PC from the 1st two angles they showed and then, when showed a 3rd angle, it was clear that it was a block. To know for sure on many of these plays (not all), you have to have just the right angle. And, as luck would have it, the mechanics we use are set up to try to get us in the spot to give us the angles we need.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 10, 2015 at 07:44pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 02:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not drift back into the path of the airborne shooter who had jumped in a direction and path that would have taken him clearly by him?
I agree the L's angle would be better, but frankly, I see no drifting from my angle.

If anything, the backpedaling takes the defender out drawing a charge, but to me, this is a PC or play on.

Great dunk, but based on what I see, I'm shipping this one.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

It's inconceivable to me how this could be a block or a no call. The offensive player goes thru (making ample contact) the defender who has LGP. If this is a no-call, then there's no such thing as a charge.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 03:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

I would need to see the play from an end line camera as Camron suggested.