The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lane Violation (Video)

Both refs explained that perimeter players couldn't cross the top of the three point line until the ball hit the rim. After the game, another ref sitting in the stands said the perimeter players couldn't cross the FT line. I looked up the rule and I think it's the FT line.

Can anyone confirm? Is this a lane violation on the perimeter?

Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's both. Perimeter players must stay outside the three-point line, and above the free-throw line extended until the ball hits the rim. Violation in this video.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 05:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

frezer is right.

The players must stay outside the 3 point arc, and above the free throw line extended.
In this video, both players commit a violation. If this happened along the lane line, I'd only penalize the first violation, by rule. Since it's above the arc, I'm not so sure this shouldn't be a simultaneous violation.

Penalize both, cancel the shot and move to the next shot or go to the arrow if there are no more shots to be taken.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
frezer is right.

The players must stay outside the 3 point arc, and above the free throw line extended.
In this video, both players commit a violation. If this happened along the lane line, I'd only penalize the first violation, by rule. Since it's above the arc, I'm not so sure this shouldn't be a simultaneous violation.

Penalize both, cancel the shot and move to the next shot or go to the arrow if there are no more shots to be taken.
When the first violation is by the defense and the next by the thrower or a teammate of the thrower not in a marked lane space, then both violations are penalized as if they had been simultaneous, even though they really weren't. Rule citation = 9-1 Penalty Section 4b
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 05:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
When the first violation is by the defense and the next by the thrower or a teammate of the thrower not in a marked lane space, then both violations are penalized as if they had been simultaneous even though they really weren't. Rule citation = 9-1 Penalty Section 4b
Thank you, Nevada. That's what I was remembering.

So, in the video: Wave off the FT, AP throw in.

Here's a question, though. Given the location of the violation, where do you bring the ball in. End line or side line?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 05:49pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thank you, Nevada. That's what I was remembering.

So, in the video: Wave off the FT, AP throw in.

Here's a question, though. Given the location of the violation, where do you bring the ball in. End line or side line?
I would probably go sideline, but not married to it 100%. Could be persuaded.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2015, 11:29pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I would probably go sideline, but not married to it 100%. Could be persuaded.
Endline, as violation took place on the basket side of the FT circle.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Definitely on the sideline. The red player is in first and his step is clearly outside the FT semicircle. White then enters and he too is wide of the semicircle.

The real question is what to do if one is inside and one violator is outside or the first is a defender in a marked lane space and the second is a player outside the 3pt area and the "rocket ship". I believe that I have a good answer, but have never seen it detailed anywhere.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Definitely on the sideline. The red player is in first and his step is clearly outside the FT semicircle. White then enters and he too is wide of the semicircle.

The real question is what to do if one is inside and one violator is outside or the first is a defender in a marked lane space and the second is a player outside the 3pt area and the "rocket ship". I believe that I have a good answer, but have never seen it detailed anywhere.
Correct on the location....it is certainly the sideline.

The location of the throw for simultaneous violations is determined by which team has the arrow. The spot will be at the spot nearest the violation committed by the team without the arrow.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 07:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Did You Get Express Written Permission ???

Quote:
the "rocket ship".
Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Correct on the location....it is certainly the sideline.

The location of the throw for simultaneous violations is determined by which team has the arrow. The spot will be at the spot nearest the violation committed by the team without the arrow.
Correct -- there's a case play or interp (possibly dealing with fouls) on this.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty 4d
If a fake by an opponent causes the free thrower or a teammate of the free thrower to violate, only the fake is penalized.
Interesting, if the defender merely fakes in this video, then we would only penalize his actions. However, if the defender goes ahead and violates and the free thrower's teammate goes in, too, then it's a double violation.

That seems odd to me, precisely because of the situation in the video.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct -- there's a case play or interp (possibly dealing with fouls) on this.
Anyone know where to find this interpretation/caseplay? I'm not sure I ever remember reading this one.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Anyone know where to find this interpretation/caseplay? I'm not sure I ever remember reading this one.
The quickest one I can find is from 2002 (I think), so the end-ruling has changed (It's POI, not AP), but the concept exists:

SITUATION 12: B1 fouls A1 near the division line. At approximately the same time, A2 fouls B2 in the lane near Team A's basket. The alternating-possession arrow is pointed toward Team A. RULING: This is a simultaneous personal foul. B1 and A2 are charged with personal fouls. The ball shall be put back in play with an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A on the sideline nearest B1's foul. COMMENT: Since the fouls occurred at two different locations on the floor, the spot for the throw-in is determined by the foul of the team not entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in. Example: Team A has the arrow; throw-in administered at the spot closest to Team B's foul. (4-19-9; 6-3-3g)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2015, 01:21pm
#thereferee99

Using the Trythagorean Theorem: Sideline

Last edited by referee99; Sun Feb 08, 2015 at 02:03pm. Reason: spelling