The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

TO but shot clock shows 24

NCAA Mens

In backcourt, Trail is officiating heavily guarded/pressured ball handler A1. Team A coach requests a timeout. Trail official acknowledges/grants timeout called and stops the clock. Officials look at shot clock which reads 24. Center official claims that the shot clock had started 2 seconds early, although he did not rectify it when it actually happened. No official had any direct knowledge (count in head, etc) of actual elapsed time. No monitor or other help from anywhere/anyone.

Would you grant the timeout and leave the shot clock at 24?

Would you grant the timeout and put the shot clock at 26?

Would you call the 10-second violation, give the ball to Team B, but still grant the timeout?

Would you call the 10-second violation, give the ball to Team B, and not grant the timeout?

Would you do something else?

With answers, please provide a brief explanation.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhoops View Post
NCAA Mens

In backcourt, Trail is officiating heavily guarded/pressured ball handler A1. Team A coach requests a timeout. Trail official acknowledges/grants timeout called and stops the clock. Officials look at shot clock which reads 24. Center official claims that the shot clock had started 2 seconds early, although he did not rectify it when it actually happened. No official had any direct knowledge (count in head, etc) of actual elapsed time. No monitor or other help from anywhere/anyone.

Would you grant the timeout and leave the shot clock at 24?

Would you grant the timeout and put the shot clock at 26?

Would you call the 10-second violation, give the ball to Team B, but still grant the timeout?

Would you call the 10-second violation, give the ball to Team B, and not grant the timeout?

Would you do something else?

Because of what is in red the answer is to grant the TO and reset the shot clock to 26. During the time-out you kick the Center in the backside and tell him to fix clock errors when he sees them, unless a scoring play is in progress.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:15am
AremRed

Quote:
What is this, a test? Feels like I'm back in grade school.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

With the new mechanic for using the shot clock vice a visible count, this actually makes a great case play. The NCAA should adopt it.

So what if the official doesn't have knowledge of a lapse. TO is called, you look up and see "24." Do you call the violation and give the coach the option to take the timeout back?

Probably not. I'm guessing not calling the violation is simply a non-reviewable official's error?

In the NBA the count is not reset following a timeout, correct? Or is this moot because the ball is advanced to the division line? I stink at NBA rules.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Sorry, I did that to prevent some people from only responding with a yes or no. I was looking also for rule/case reference.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because of what is in red the answer is to grant the TO and reset the shot clock to 26. During the time-out you kick the Center in the backside and tell him to fix clock errors when he sees them, unless a scoring play is in progress.
Yes, now pretend the information in red is absent. No official had any direct knowledge of any timing errors/issues. What is the best way to handle this situation?

(I also agree it would make a great NCAA play for case book)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
In the NBA the count is not reset following a timeout, correct? Or is this moot because the ball is advanced to the division line? I stink at NBA rules.
NBA does not reset the 8 second count.

I believe the NBA only advances for a TO called (1) before the ball is inbounded after a basket, or (2) called immediately upon gaining possession in the backcourt [most commonly on a FT rebound at end game].
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With the new mechanic for using the shot clock vice a visible count, this actually makes a great case play. The NCAA should adopt it.

So what if the official doesn't have knowledge of a lapse. TO is called, you look up and see "24." Do you call the violation and give the coach the option to take the timeout back?

Probably not. I'm guessing not calling the violation is simply a non-reviewable official's error?

I think it is a case play (or interp) in NCAAW. Either the TO request came in time, so reset the shot clock to 21, or it's late and a violation. Must be decided immediately.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It's actually a great situational question.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Without the information provided by the slot, by rule a 10 second violation would be called, 1 second added back to the game clock, and Team A would have a choice to rescind the timeout.

And there is a relevant case play on the Men's side, A.R. 208.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 02, 2015 at 01:38pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
Sorry, I did that to prevent some people from only responding with a yes or no. I was looking also for rule/case reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's actually a great situational question.
I know, I was just ragging on luvhoops for the very official sounding post. It is a very good situational question.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, A.R. 208 applies somewhat however 207 is more applicable I believe. Thanks for pointing it out as clearly, it was not previously discovered and thus, the original post was made.