The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Fighting Question

I was watching/reading the Deadspin article at http://deadspin.com/d-league-teammat...her-1682268522 and it made me think about how it would apply to a HS game. I don't have my rulebook in front of me.

Using NFHS rules, fighting is fighting, regardless of who is involved, correct? Is there anything in the rule book stating it has to be opponents fighting? How is a bench fight assessed in terms of penalties to the coach?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2015, 12:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Fighting is fighting in both NFHS and both NCAA rule sets, regardless of teammates and/or opponents are involved.

NCAA (M & W) 10-2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual.

NFHS 10-18 FIGHTING. Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:
ART. 1 - An attempt to strike, punch or kick by using a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.

Per NCAA, bench personnel didn't actually "leave the team bench," which is the precursor to that particular listed infraction and penalty, so two indirect technical fouls on the HC for those two teammates fighting in the bench area are not appropriate for violating rule 10-4.8 ("Bench personnel leaving the bench area when a fight may break out or has broken out."), BUT they have violated 10-4.9 ("Fighting by bench personnel as in Rule 10-5."), for which the penalties are the same, as are the penalties assessed to the HC (1 indirect TF for each member of bench personnel who participates in a fight).

Per NFHS, basically the same thing. Rule references are just different. They're guilty of violating 10-4-1.g for bench personnel fighting (same indirect(s) on HC for this as above), but not for "leaving the bench area" per 10-4.5.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite part of the video is watching the reaction of the two officials who were completely oblivious as to what was going on…then sprint over towards the bench…and then realize there was nothing for them to do.

(I'm guessing neither of them were Point Guards since they displayed virtually no peripheral/court vision)…
Old Thu Jan 29, 2015, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
(I'm guessing neither of them were Point Guards since they displayed virtually no peripheral/court vision)…
Probably shooting guards.