The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 08:32pm
#thereferee99

Fighting Question

Situation occurred locally, 2 officials from our association had the game.
At our meeting last night, the situation was described, as well as the resulting penalties.

Players A1 and B1 start fighting in front of Team B bench. 3 team members from Team B jump up and fight as well.

Officials determined that all 5 players were disqualified for flagrant fouls, and the Team B head coach was given 3 indirects for players leaving team bench -- he was ejected. Team A shot 6 free throws for the 3 flagrant fouls by the team members off the bench, and team A was given the ball for throw-in at division line.

Comments?

Last edited by referee99; Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 08:49pm.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Situation occurred locally, 2 officials from our association had the game.
At our meeting last night, the situation was described, as well as the resulting penalties.

Players A1 and B1 start fighting in front of Team B bench. 3 team members from Team B jump up and fight as well.

Officials determined that all 5 players were disqualified for flagrant fouls, and the Team B head coach was given 3 indirects for players leaving team bench -- he was ejected. Team A shot 6 free throws for the 3 flagrant fouls by the team members off the bench, and team A was given the ball for throw-in at division line.

Comments?
All correct.
Also Team A gets one team foul and Team B gets four.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
3 team members from the bench who fought receive what kind of technicals?
Each gets an individual technical foul. It is charged to each offender.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 08:49pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Doesn't it depend on if the players that come off the bench actually participate in the fight or not? From what I was taught, if they do fight then all are ejected and each is assessed a tech. However, if they just come on to the playing field and don't participate in the fight at all, they are still ejected but there is only one tech assessed to the coach as an indirect because of bench decorum.

That's what I was taught anyways... I could be wrong as I am still young as an official.

EDIT: As I re-read the sitch, I see that what was done is correct, but in the case that I brought up, what is the correct procedure?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Doesn't it depend on if the players that come off the bench actually participate in the fight or not? From what I was taught, if they do fight then all are ejected and each is assessed a tech. However, if they just come on to the playing field and don't participate in the fight at all, they are still ejected but there is only one tech assessed to the coach as an indirect because of bench decorum.

That's what I was taught anyways... I could be wrong as I am still young as an official.

EDIT: As I re-read the sitch, I see that what was done is correct, but in the case that I brought up, what is the correct procedure?
NFHS RULES:
You are correct that there is a difference between those who fight and those who leave the bench, but don't fight.
There is no difference in the penalty to each team member. Either way that kid is getting a flagrant T and is DQ'd. Also each of those count towards the team foul total.
The only differences are in how many FTs are awarded and how many indirects the Head Coach receives. FTs = 2 for each fighter, but max of two for all non-fighters. Indirect Ts = One for each fighter off the bench and a max of one for all team members who leave the bench, but don't participate.

The OP did say that each team member from the bench fought.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 12, 2009 at 10:56pm.