The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
School's closed here today for 1/2" of snow.....and now, at 1030, the roads are clear and everything is pretty much melted. Silly.

PS - another postponement....
Yep, it's official. Another postponement for me with clear roads after 1.5" of the white fluffy stuff.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Yep, it's official. Another postponement for me with clear roads after 1.5" of the white fluffy stuff.
I know some school administrators and know its not an easy job with tons of considerations and liability concerns.

But....... this month has been extremely frustrating as a parent and an official. The one day school should have been closed a few weeks ago in the NoVA area they opened on time. My daughters school bus actually got stuck right in front of my house, the roads were a mess, and it was a huge cluster... all the way around.

Then they overreact the other way and had several closings and delays for virtually nothing. The cancellation today is ridiculous. I had a Fr/V double header that I was looking forward to b/c it should be a competitive game with a great atmosphere and 2 coaches whose games I enjoy doing.

I will still get the game as its been rescheduled for Saturday but it will now require me to leave early from a work conference and get even less time with my family on a Saturday. All b/c of an inch of snow on the ground and roads that were basically cleared by 8am.

Again, I understand all that goes into the decision making process but there have to be ways to improve it. And I think its silly that they don't allow extra-curricular activities on days when school is closed. If the roads are bad in the morning and they feel the need to close school then fine. But when everything is clear by mid morning it is ridiculous to cause even more logistical headaches just for appearances.

Play the damn games!!!!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 04:06pm
AremRed

I had nine games cancelled last season, only four so far this season thankfully.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 04:10pm
Stubborn Member

Coming from upstate NY (in between Rochester and Syracuse) I laugh every time it snows in Columbus, as people freak out and schools get cancelled over very little snow.

I had one snow day in all four years of high school (yes, Sheldon, it took me four years to graduate high school), and that was because a blizzard the night before dropped around four feet of snow on the ground. A truck with a v-shaped plow actually got stuck going down my road (it was fun watching it back up a hundred feet or so and ram the snow... making it go flying everywhere).
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 06:42pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I know some school administrators and know its not an easy job with tons of considerations and liability concerns.

But....... this month has been extremely frustrating as a parent and an official. The one day school should have been closed a few weeks ago in the NoVA area they opened on time. My daughters school bus actually got stuck right in front of my house, the roads were a mess, and it was a huge cluster... all the way around.

Then they overreact the other way and had several closings and delays for virtually nothing. The cancellation today is ridiculous. I had a Fr/V double header that I was looking forward to b/c it should be a competitive game with a great atmosphere and 2 coaches whose games I enjoy doing.

I will still get the game as its been rescheduled for Saturday but it will now require me to leave early from a work conference and get even less time with my family on a Saturday. All b/c of an inch of snow on the ground and roads that were basically cleared by 8am.

Again, I understand all that goes into the decision making process but there have to be ways to improve it. And I think its silly that they don't allow extra-curricular activities on days when school is closed. If the roads are bad in the morning and they feel the need to close school then fine. But when everything is clear by mid morning it is ridiculous to cause even more logistical headaches just for appearances.

Play the damn games!!!!
VaTerp, I am anything but an apologist for the FFX County school authorities but you should consider the geographic scope of FFX County and the size of the bus fleet.
Having lived here for a loooong time, I have seen clear skies near Mt Vernon on the river, a raging nor'easter past Reston, and an ice storm in Centreville.
They have not yet compartmentalized the decision making to take these differing circumstances into account.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

What would've been my first varsity game was cancelled last night

Have to wait til next week now.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 08:15pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
What would've been my first varsity game was cancelled last night

Have to wait til next week now.
Another week to work on your big-timin mechanics!!
Knock 'em dead, act like you belong.....
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 08:23pm
Back from the DL

Fourth postponement (not cancellation, there's a difference) on the season was today. Had one this past Saturday, too.

My son's high school was closed today, and we just got a call it will be closed tomorrow, too. (Back-to-back days is quite rare.) Monday was an in-service day, giving the kids a five-day weekend.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 05:18pm
Back from the DL

Today's and tomorrow's games postponed. I believe this is the most I've ever seen.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I believe this is the most I've ever seen.
I had 19 postponements in 2010 due to our "snowmaggedon."
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 12:33am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I had 19 postponements in 2010 due to our "snowmaggedon."
I seem to recall that. I believe you got more snow than we did. I have family in Fairfax and Loudon counties, so I did an awful lot of snickering that winter.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

last week I lost games on Thursday Friday and Saturday. The week before that I lost two games. I lost the game this past Thursday. Hopefully they will be made up and I will get them back.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2015, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Borrowing from BillyMac

Between Varsity, JV, middle school, and rec leagues I ref about 15 games a week and so far have had ZERO cancellations.

What? Wait! I'm being told... never mind. I work in Texas and we don't have snow that deep! It might get too damn hot around here in the summer but the winters ain't that bad.