The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
They remove things from the case book, not to change them, but to make space for new interpretations in other areas. They have to remove something when adding something so they don't have to keep adding pages and printing costs. When they want to change a ruling, they don't silently remove it, they replace it with one or more new ones that express the new ruling.

The player lying on the floor is in a legal position (in NFHS only). A stationary player owns their space from head to toe regardless if their orientation is vertical or horizontal .
Tell me where you get this from. I've pointed out that the screening rule specifically says a player has to have a STANCE and stay inside the vertical plane. Legal Guarding says vertical plane. A player gets a spot on the floor. Lying down takes up multiple spots. A player in your game can lay down to set a screen. defense now has to avoid a six foot space instead of another player vertical in his plane. double or triple screen with only one player....

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Jan 25, 2015 at 03:18pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Camron is correct.

There is a casebook situation that specifically addresses this, and that interpretation remains in effect until it it specifically changed, which NFHS has not done.

The screening rule is irrelevant in the situation being discussed.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Sun Jan 25, 2015 at 06:59pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 06:41pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post

The screening rue is irrelevant in the situation being discussed.
As is any reference to LGP irrelevant, with player on floor not moving after obtaining his position on the floor legally. He may or may not have LGP but that is not germane to making the proper call on this play.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Tell me where you get this from. I've pointed out that the screening rule specifically says a player has to have a STANCE and stay inside the vertical plane. Legal Guarding says vertical plane. A player gets a spot on the floor. Lying down takes up multiple spots.
His body doesn't get any bigger. Go ahead and try to play defense on the floor...pretty hard to block a pass or shot from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
A player in your game can lay down to set a screen. defense now has to avoid a six foot space instead of another player vertical in his plane. double or triple screen with only one player....
If a player does it on purpose, there are other case plays to deal with that and it isn't going to be a common foul.