View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tripping, Or Being Tripped ???

Our state interpreter (IAABO, not the same as NFHS) emailed us this situation (below) yesterday:

A1 and B1 both jump in an attempt to rebound a missed try. A1 secures the rebound as B1 loses his/her balance and falls to floor behind A1.
A1 spins to begin a dribble contacts B1 and falls. Is this a travel on A1 or foul on B1?

Ruling: This is a blocking foul on B1. Although B1 fell to the floor, he/she did not obtain a legal guarding position, which requires an opponent to initially face a player with 2 feet on playing court and the front of the torso must be facing the opponent (Rule 4-23-2).

Haven't we debated this on the Forum a few times? If I recall, some were of the opinion that a player was entitled to his place on the floor (literally) if he got there first. I believe that there was also some discussion regarding the difference between the NFHS, and NCAA, ruling on this play.

Did we come to a consensus, based on NFHS rules, in line with the ruling described above, or did we not come to a consensus?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 24, 2015 at 02:18pm.