The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rule treats contacts/glasses differently than injuries. A quick fix is best, even if it requires a trainer with a bottle of saline. I'm not going to go looking for trouble.
So what would define a reasonable amount of time? So vague if you ask me. I have never seen this happen, and glad that's the case.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
So what would define a reasonable amount of time? So vague if you ask me. I have never seen this happen, and glad that's the case.
It's vague, but the standard is the same whether or not a trainer comes onto the floor.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes you just need to officiate.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i kinda think you'll know it when you see it . . . I also think it is the kind of thing that people actually tend to be pretty reasonable about.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW 3-6-3a says you have 20 seconds to deal with a lost, irritated or displaced contact lens. Otherwise you need a sub or a TO. Interesting that the NCAAW rules committee has sort of defined what a reasonable timeframe is for this issue. NCAAM and NFHS are more subjective with what is "reasonable."

Anyone know this history behind this rules nuance in the NCAAW book?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
i kinda think you'll know it when you see it . . . I also think it is the kind of thing that people actually tend to be pretty reasonable about.
Unfortunately in basketball there are often times when "reasonable" is in short supply.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Unfortunately in basketball there are often times when "reasonable" is in short supply.
The lack of frequency here renders the concerns moot, IMO. If it starts to happen regularly, I think the NFHS would be more than willing to get a heavy hand.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 09:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Beckoned ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
... if player sprains an ankle, trainer/coach comes onto court we know player has to be replaced OR team call timeout to keep him in game.
Even if the coach is beckoned, and, for whatever reason, he doesn't come out onto the court attend to the injured player, he still has to take the player out, or request, and be granted, a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 09:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Less Than Five Players ???

Quote:
... coach/team trainer on floor = replace or timeout. no exception applies there.
There may be an exception when having to play with less than five players? I'm not 100% sure, and I'm too tired to look it up. Overtime game tonight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back in the olden days, when contact lenses first became popular, I remember a few officials who, during the pregame captains meeting, asking if any players wore contact lenses, and then putting a mark next to those names in the book. I never saw the point of this, if a player was going to gain an advantage by lying about a displaced contacts, then why wouldn't a captain lie about a player wearing contact lenses (a designated contact lens wearer?), all orchestrated by a devious coach?
I remember back in the 90s "that guy" saying, right after 'black line all the way around'... 'if one of you loses a contact tell us and we will stop the game'.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if the coach is beckoned, and, for whatever reason, he doesn't come out onto the court attend to the injured player, he still has to take the player out, or request, and be granted, a timeout.
double check that Billy. substitution rule says beckoned AND comes onto the court. if kid goes down hard, you immediately beckon the coach but coach hesitates for a few seconds...kid pops up ready to play he can stay in. fact that you beckoned him doesnt mean he has to come out. at least by the wording of the rule.

i agree if what you mean is player just doesnt shake it off and isnt ready to play fairly soon. we can say to the coach we need a replacement because he just isnt ready in time. thx
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There may be an exception when having to play with less than five players? I'm not 100% sure, and I'm too tired to look it up. Overtime game tonight.
i think you may be right. i wasnt thinking about a 4 player issue etc. since you were, you get to look it up. let me know when you get a chance. thx
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
double check that Billy. substitution rule says beckoned AND comes onto the court. if kid goes down hard, you immediately beckon the coach but coach hesitates for a few seconds...kid pops up ready to play he can stay in. fact that you beckoned him doesnt mean he has to come out. at least by the wording of the rule.

i agree if what you mean is player just doesnt shake it off and isnt ready to play fairly soon. we can say to the coach we need a replacement because he just isnt ready in time. thx
The case book says otherwise:

Quote:
3.3.6 SITUATION B: A1 appears to be injured and an official properly halts play and the Team A coach rushes onto the court to check A1. However, A1 is OK and seems ready to play within a few seconds. RULING: A1 must be removed as the coach came onto the court. A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come on the court and A1 is ready to play immediately. If the coach or other bench personnel have come onto the court, the player must be replaced. There is no set amount of time as to what is “immediately,” but it should not involve more than a few seconds and it must be without the coach, athletic trainer or doctor being beckoned and/or entering the court. The coach may also call a time-out to keep the player in the game provided the replacement interval for the substitution has not begun. (10-4-2)
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Or ...

Quote:
double check that Billy. substitution rule says beckoned AND comes onto the court.
3-3-6: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any
other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed
to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team
and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

With A Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker, 1968) ...

(I know that it's a Beatles song, but this cover is classic)

Quote:
I know that the "five player rule" trumps the "sit a tick rule", but I'm still not sure if it trumps the "sit, or take a time out rule"? Does it matter if there are no timeouts available? How about a little help here guys?