The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Every year at our NFHS interps meeting I ask this question: "when will the NFHS implement a Restricted Area semi-circle marking under the basket on the floor of highschool gymnasia? Like they have in college and nba?"

And, each year I get the canned response from whomever is leading the discussion: "we don't need one because our refs have good judgement."

In this present video case the officials would have been greatly aided by having such a reference marking on the floor. It appeared that the defender established LGP far enough from the front end of the rim (i.e., was not under the rim). Although spectacular, the dunk was a charge. I call "charge", then "taunting" T--as the taunt was egregious.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I know they aren't your words, but I don't think the NBA and NCAA implemented the RA because their officials weren't good enough to adjudicate block/charge plays.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 10:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Every year at our NFHS interps meeting I ask this question: "when will the NFHS implement a Restricted Area semi-circle marking under the basket on the floor of highschool gymnasia? Like they have in college and nba?"

And, each year I get the canned response from whomever is leading the discussion: "we don't need one because our refs have good judgement."

In this present video case the officials would have been greatly aided by having such a reference marking on the floor. It appeared that the defender established LGP far enough from the front end of the rim (i.e., was not under the rim). Although spectacular, the dunk was a charge. I call "charge", then "taunting" T--as the taunt was egregious.
So what? Did the defender have LGP? Was there advantage/disadvantage?

The defender's location on the floor tells me absolutely nothing, as it isn't relevant at all on whether contact is a foul (*in an NFHS game*).
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We had a long thread about assigners telling officials that when there are bodies on the floor there had better be a fouled called.

Therefore, how can there not be a whistle and a foul: either a PC by the dunker or a block by the defender? And there was contact between the two players involved.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And I am not being obtuse (See Post #11.)
In that thread there was A LOT of disagreement about HAVING to have a whistle simply b/c bodies are on the floor. I know many assigners who do not subscribe to that flawed philosophy.

And that was about MULTIPLE bodies on the floor. Here, there is one.

I have a good dunk (a No Call) followed by taunting.

Last edited by VaTerp; Thu Jan 22, 2015 at 10:14am.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree 100%. The contact was embellished. He wasn't displaced. The turn was completely wrong for where he supposedly got hit.

Then we have a T for taunting.
I'm with MTD on this one, PC then TF. I don't see it as much as embellishment as ducking for protection. Have we forgotten about Rule 4-23-3e?

“e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact”
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
I'm with MTD on this one, PC then TF. I don't see it as much as embellishment as ducking for protection. Have we forgotten about Rule 4-23-3e?

“e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact”
And, if the defender "turning and/or ducking, to absorb the shock of imminent contact," reduced the contact to a level of "incidental contact," then no call would be made. I've seen defenders "turn and/or duck" so much that the imminent contact never occurred, and it was evident that it wasn't an attempt to flop or embelish the contact.
The camera angle on this play is less than ideal. From the Lead's position, the contact apparently seemed to be incidental in severity, and his partners apparently trusted his judgment.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, "bodies on the floor", is a flawed philosophy. It takes experience and temerity to not pop your whistle when this occurs. We all know the type of plays this occurs in--e.g., both player pursuing a ball wherein each has equal access to, etc...
Even here, I frequently hear Assignors say: "if bodies are on the floor, then pop your whistle on something".
All, it wil take one good ref at a time to dislodge (no pun intended) this very staid mis-belief.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 12:36pm
In Time Out

good dunk, no foul. then Tech. IMO
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So what? Did the defender have LGP? Was there advantage/disadvantage?

The defender's location on the floor tells me absolutely nothing, as it isn't relevant at all on whether contact is a foul (*in an NFHS game*).
Correct in this case, but not in general. A foot on the OOB line would be relevant by the defense as you could not have a LGP.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I agree, "bodies on the floor", is a flawed philosophy. It takes experience and temerity to not pop your whistle when this occurs. We all know the type of plays this occurs in--e.g., both player pursuing a ball wherein each has equal access to, etc...
Even here, I frequently hear Assignors say: "if bodies are on the floor, then pop your whistle on something".
All, it wil take one good ref at a time to dislodge (no pun intended) this very staid mis-belief.
What I've heard more recently (which I like a lot better) is: "if bodies are on the floor you need a whistle or you should know how they got there." Contact can be severe and not necessarily mean a foul occured.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Correct in this case, but not in general. A foot on the OOB line would be relevant by the defense as you could not have a LGP.
The only thing he referenced was this case. Why muddy the waters? For what it's worth, I'm with the no-call followed by a T. And I don't care how great this official is, you don't go chasing the ball. Good dead ball officiating is critical after a play like this.

Last edited by Smitty; Thu Jan 22, 2015 at 01:32pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
What I've heard more recently (which I like a lot better) is: "if bodies are on the floor you need a whistle or you should know how they got there." Contact can be severe and not necessarily mean a foul occured.
You know, I've heard this too, but I disagree. This statement implies that if you have bodies on the floor but don't know how they got there, then you need to have a whistle. Doesn't that imply that you need to guess???
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
you don't go chasing the ball
Just leave it at that. This was the worst part of the video IMO. Leave the ball alone, somebody will go get it!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Just leave it at that. This was the worst part of the video IMO. Leave the ball alone, somebody will go get it!
Good point. I updated my post.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not looking to whack players, but I make a point to keep a close eye on a player just after and on the trip down the floor after he completes a monster dunk. That kind of taunt is step one towards a bigger problem I might have to deal with.