The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

RA vs leading with an extended leg (Video)

One for the video guys: dunk by Notre Dame player against Georgia Tech at 10:05 of the second half.

Called a block by the Lead due to the defender being in the restricted area. Thought I read some exception on block/charge when a player leads with an extended arm or leg. Anyone have this citation?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 10:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Not on my laptop so I can't cite the rule for you, but yes there are an exception for extended knees and elbows.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One for the video guys: dunk by Notre Dame player against Georgia Tech at 10:05 of the second half.

Called a block by the Lead due to the defender being in the restricted area. Thought I read some exception on block/charge when a player leads with an extended arm or leg. Anyone have this citation?
4-17-7. also, player in the RA can still try to block a shot. he just cant try to take a charge in the RA.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
4-17-7. also, player in the RA can still try to block a shot. he just cant try to take a charge in the RA.
Knew that I read that, but couldn't discern where. Thanks for the cite.

A secondary defender cannot establish initial legal guarding position in the Restricted Area for the purposes of drawing a player control foul/charge on a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. When illegal contact occurs within this Restricted Area, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is flagrant. (Exception: When the offensive player leads with a foot or unnatural extended knee or wards off with the arm.)
This restriction shall not prohibit a defender, located within the restricted area, from attempting to block a shot.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 12:20am
Eschew obfuscation.

Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

I don't see anything unnatural about that knee....it was in the same location as any one going up for a layup/dunk.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I think the rules committee is going to have to address the legality of flying before next season though. It seems like an unfair advantage.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 01:58am
AremRed

Good call for me, like Camron I don't see anything worth calling from that knee.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

As soon as I saw the text, I knew that there would be posters defending the blocking call by taking the position that the knee wasn't "unnatural". This demonstrates the difficulty of writing rules and shows why stating things as simply as possible is best.

The word unnatural needs to be stricken from the rule. It is not part of judging contact with the foot or arm and shouldn't be for the knee either.

What is a natural or unnatural position for a players knee anyway? No one can really say and it doesn't matter. The whole debate misses the point.

The purpose of the NCAA ruling is to protect the players by making it illegal to lead into a defender with an extended foot, knee, or arm, even if the defender is within the restricted area. The NCAA doesn't want that kind of action. It will just cause injuries.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 11:02am
Often wrong never n doubt

At first I thought he did a pull up on the rim then on replay I realized he was that far up to begin with. I see nothing with the knee.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As soon as I saw the text, I knew that there would be posters defending the blocking call by taking the position that the knee wasn't "unnatural". This demonstrates the difficulty of writing rules and shows why stating things as simply as possible is best.

The word unnatural needs to be stricken from the rule. It is not part of judging contact with the foot or arm and shouldn't be for the knee either.

What is a natural or unnatural position for a players knee anyway? No one can really say and it doesn't matter. The whole debate misses the point.

The purpose of the NCAA ruling is to protect the players by making it illegal to lead into a defender with an extended foot, knee, or arm, even if the defender is within the restricted area. The NCAA doesn't want that kind of action. It will just cause injuries.
I'm not even sure how one can unnaturally lead with a knee. The knee can only do so much.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 11:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't see anything unnatural about that knee....it was in the same location as any one going up for a layup/dunk.
Exactly. The movement was not unnatural.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

When was the last time a knee naturally landed on your face? Pretty unnatural. What shoes were he wearing?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Sometimes the defender just needs to get out of the way. This is one of those situations.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here are two examples from an NBA games of an unnatural knee leading to an offensive foul with a defender in the RA

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.