The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:36pm
In Time Out

interesting videos. I saw both fouls although the Knicks one is clearer. Very rare call indeed.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

The one from the Knicks/Nuggets falls into the "obvious" category, IMHO.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:47pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The one from the Knicks/Nuggets falls into the "obvious" category, IMHO.
Yeah, that one was obvious.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:55pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
"Not obvious" as in "hard to see" or "hard to see clearly enough to call". Officials tend not to make calls that they aren't 100% sure about.

And if you are saying you saw it clearly enough upon the first viewing, and at real speed, then I'd have to question your honesty.
I'm pretty certain I'm a good enough U1/U2 to see that if the opposing HC had talked to us about it pregame (which reportedly happened in the Iowa-Wisconsin game), or if we'd pregamed about it because our supervisor had sent something out on this type of play - team-specific or not. And in those cases, I'm seeing it and calling it.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And if you are saying you saw it clearly enough upon the first viewing, and at real speed, then I'd have to question your honesty.
Just because you happened to see the foul on the first viewing on a video that you know a possible foul occurs on the jump should not mean that a conclusion be drawn that you are dishonest. Bad news said something about leaving it alone if not obvious, but if I saw that with a clear angle, I would have a whistle (albeit late after my 'did I just really see that?' processing delay )
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 05:40pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Just because you happened to see the foul on the first viewing on a video that you know a possible foul occurs on the jump should not mean that a conclusion be drawn that you are dishonest. Bad news said something about leaving it alone if not obvious, but if I saw that with a clear angle, I would have a whistle (albeit late after my 'did I just really see that?' processing delay )
Maybe that sentence was unnecessary.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Not obvious" as in "hard to see" or "hard to see clearly enough to call". Officials tend not to make calls that they aren't 100% sure about.

I'd question the honesty of anyone who doesn't call a foul they do see because they think others might not be able to see it.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
I'm pretty certain I'm a good enough U1/U2 to see that if the opposing HC had talked to us about it pregame (which reportedly happened in the Iowa-Wisconsin game), or if we'd pregamed about it because our supervisor had sent something out on this type of play - team-specific or not. And in those cases, I'm seeing it and calling it.
That's a whole nother story. In that case the crew needs to be on the lookout.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 22, 2015 at 12:11am.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 11:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I think this is a good clip showing why one has to have a high level of concentration even to start the game:

A foul by one of the jumpers is not unheard of. But what bothered me was the R talking way too long to make the toss. While just outside the circle, make sure the jumpers are ready, tell them you are coming in, sound your whistle, then all in one motion step and toss the ball. Don't hang the jumpers.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 01:03am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Unless it is blantantly obvious, leaving that alone.
I agree with everything BNR wrote in this thread.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 10:48am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
A foul by one of the jumpers is not unheard of. But what bothered me was the R talking way too long to make the toss. While just outside the circle, make sure the jumpers are ready, tell them you are coming in, sound your whistle, then all in one motion step and toss the ball. Don't hang the jumpers.

MTD, Sr.
What does "hanging the jumpers" hurt? I actually like his deliberate method as IMO it keeps the jumpers from timing the jump. Now they are reacting to the toss and not jumping as you are moving in and anticipating. This gets them jumping at the same time. When I see one trying to anticipate either the ball gets tossed and he gains a clear advantage of being off the floor first or the official holds and lets them both come up together. Never do they go ahead and toss it while the first jumper is on the way down when he is the only one anticipating. Therefore he gets a free chance to try and get the tip.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2015, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
What does "hanging the jumpers" hurt? I actually like his deliberate method as IMO it keeps the jumpers from timing the jump. Now they are reacting to the toss and not jumping as you are moving in and anticipating. This gets them jumping at the same time. When I see one trying to anticipate either the ball gets tossed and he gains a clear advantage of being off the floor first or the official holds and lets them both come up together. Never do they go ahead and toss it while the first jumper is on the way down when he is the only one anticipating. Therefore he gets a free chance to try and get the tip.
I tend to agree, though the case in the video was admittedly one of the longer hangs I've seen...a little too much for my taste.

I don't want the players anticipating and/or timing my toss any more than a hockey official wants two guys anticipating a face-off. Suspense adds some fairness to the process.