The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Shooter for pregame technical foul shots

Pre-game warm-up; player dunks at the 12 minute mark. Coach was informed of the player and that he would lose his coaching box.
10 minute mark; official book is checked and approved.
Start of game; coach of the team who is shooting free-throws wants a substitute to shoot the technical foul shots.
I understand anyone can shoot a technical foul.

Can you substitute for a starter other than for injury before the game starts?? And if so, does the substitute have to stay in and start the game instead of the original starter.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 11:31am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
Pre-game warm-up; player dunks at the 12 minute mark. Coach was informed of the player and that he would lose his coaching box.
Start of game; coach of the team who is shooting free-throws wants a substitute to shoot the technical foul shots.

Can you substitute for a starter other than for injury before the game starts?? And if so, does the substitute have to stay in and start the game instead of the original starter.
Free throws for a technical foul may be attempted by any player, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. Since a substitute is not eligible after the 10 minute mark, and before the ball becomes live, then I'd say one of the designated starters must take the shots.

Since the tech happened at 12 minutes, the coach had two minutes to change a starter to have whoever shoot the free throws. He didn't do that.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Free throws for a technical foul may be attempted by any player, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. Since a substitute is not eligible after the 10 minute mark, and before the ball becomes live, then I'd say one of the designated starters must take the shots.

Since the tech happened at 12 minutes, the coach had two minutes to change a starter to have whoever shoot the free throws. He didn't do that.
Bryan, look at 3-3-2a. you can change a designated starter to attempt a technical foul free throw. also, split veer, once you bounce ball to free thrower the game has started. another sub can enter the game for another player. the player who was going to start but was removed for the free throw shooter cannot enter until clock runs. thx

the sub who shot the free throws can be removed also.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

The coach can sub to shoot the Technical Free Throws. The starter who was replaced must sit until the clock is legally started. This has nothing to do with marking starters in the book. Starters remain marked in the book and bring the sub in when ready to start game with FTs
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

By 10-1-2a, a team shall not change a designated starter unless necessitated as in 3-2-2a. By 3-2-2a, one of the reasons that necessitates changing a designated starter without charging a team technical foul is to attempt a technical foul free throw. The substitute may shoot the technical foul free throws.

By 3-3-3, the substitute becomes a player when he legally enters the court. His replacement (who, in OP's situation, was a designated starter) becomes bench personnel at that time. By 3-3-4, that team member shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been properly started following his replacement.

In plain English, the team member who shot the technical foul free throws is not required to remain a player following the completion of the division-line throw-in his team will be awarded -- he may be substituted out of the game following his free throws -- but he may not be replaced by the team member whom he replaced.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:15pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Bryan, look at 3-3-2a. you can change a designated starter to attempt a technical foul free throw. also, split veer, once you bounce ball to free thrower the game has started. another sub can enter the game for another player. the player who was going to start but was removed for the free throw shooter cannot enter until clock runs. thx

the sub who shot the free throws can be removed also.
I'm assuming you're right, and I'm wrong. However, I can't find 3-3-2a. Is it from an older rule book (not the 2014-15)? Or did you mean 3.3.2a, meaning a case play, in which case... is it form an older case book?

EDIT: Thanks to La Rikardo... 3-2-2a
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

OK.....I have had a thought when reading about the tech foul situation at the beginning of the game.

Does the same player have to shoot both tech foul shots? Or can one player shoot one and then another player shoot the second?

Not sure why a coach would do this, but just want to be prepared. Couldn't find this anywhere.

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK.....I have had a thought when reading about the tech foul situation at the beginning of the game.

Does the same player have to shoot both tech foul shots? Or can one player shoot one and then another player shoot the second?

Not sure why a coach would do this, but just want to be prepared. Couldn't find this anywhere.

Thanks
you can have multiple players shoot 2 T's. However then depending on how they substitute the substitution rule will be in effect. Once a player has been substituted out of the game he/she may not return until the game clock has been legally started.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm assuming you're right, and I'm wrong. However, I can't find 3-3-2a. Is it from an older rule book (not the 2014-15)? Or did you mean 3.3.2a, meaning a case play, in which case... is it form an older case book?

EDIT: Thanks to La Rikardo... 3-2-2a
In NFHS, rule book nomenclature is separated by hyphens (-), while case book nomenclature is separated by periods (.). For example, (I'm making this up), case play 1.2.3's primary rule reference is Rule 1-2-3.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
In NFHS, rule book nomenclature is separated by hyphens (-), while case book nomenclature is separated by periods (.). For example, (I'm making this up), case play 1.2.3's primary rule reference is Rule 1-2-3.
Thx Bryan knows that. i just screwed him up by citing wrong section without looking it up first…sorry Bryan
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you call the T when it happens, prior to the 10 minute mark, the coach can change his starters to include the shooter, then bring in the sub (previously noted as a starter) after the shots.

If all this happens after the 10 minute mark, the coach can sub in a shooter but the starter who was subbed out cannot return until the clock has run (as has been noted).
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 01:04pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Thx Bryan knows that. i just screwed him up by citing wrong section without looking it up first…sorry Bryan
You cited that without looking it up first? I don't care that you were a little off... that's still impressive. I'd be happy just to cite the correct rule, let alone the section and article.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
you can have multiple players shoot 2 T's. However then depending on how they substitute the substitution rule will be in effect. Once a player has been substituted out of the game he/she may not return until the game clock has been legally started.
In NCAA, the same player must shoot both FTs for a T.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ouch. Back to freshman ball for you. This is a rule that just about every official knows. See 3-2-2a.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Ouch. Back to freshman ball for you. This is a rule that just about every official knows. See 3-2-2a.
While I'm sure just about every official, myself included, knows that even a substitute can shoot the free throws for a technical foul, I doubt that just about every official was aware of how that would work for a technical that occurred before the game started.

I guess the varsity teams on my schedule will suffer... sorry.