The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Ball hits rim on throw in

I had this happen in a fifth grade girls game this weekend. Team A is inbounding on the endline in their backcourt (has entire length of court to go). Team B is in a 3/4 court press. When tema A threw the ball in the ball struck the rim (on a fan backboard) of the basket they are near and goes onto the court. My partner (also a senior member of the association) blows the ball dead and awards it to team B. Was this correct? We discussed it but couldn't come to an agreement.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Not correct. There is no violation when the ball strikes the rim....only if it goes into the basket.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Having a hard time visioning just based on the angle...but anyway. Not sure what he would have thought the violation was. If it hit the backside of the backboard then yes but why would the rim be a violation?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not a violation unless it gets wedged up there, or if it bounces OOB without touching anyone.

The fact that you couldn't find anything should tell your partner this was legal.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I have to confess that I called this "violation" once when I was just starting out.

Looked it up after the game, and confessed to the coach. The coach also thought it was a violation, so we both learned something.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4, Section 13,

ART. 1

A team's frontcourt consists of that part of the court between its end line and the nearer edge of the division line, including its basket and the inbounds part of the backboard.

ART. 2

A team's backcourt consists of the rest of the court, including the entire division line and the opponent's basket and inbounds part of the opponent's backboard.
-------
The baskets are just part of the frontcourt and backcourt. The only throw-in violations involving the baskets are for throwing the ball such that it lodges between the ring and backboard, comes to rest on the flange, or enters a basket without touching an inbounds player.
The thrown ball striking the basket is just like it bouncing in the FT lane on that end of the court.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Having a hard time visioning just based on the angle...but anyway. Not sure what he would have thought the violation was. If it hit the backside of the backboard then yes but why would the rim be a violation?
Me too. But someone mentioned it was a 5th grade game, so it could have been in a very small gym where there isn't the normal 4ft behind the plane of the front face of the backboard. That would make this more plausible.
Backside or support apparatus, or if the ball goes over a rectangular backboard = OOB violation. The bottom of the backboard and the flange/rim are inbounds, so no violation.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 11:56am
Often wrong never n doubt

If the ball were to get wedged between the rim and backboard on a throw in would that be a held ball or a throw in violation?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
If the ball were to get wedged between the rim and backboard on a throw in would that be a held ball or a throw in violation?
violation.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Me too. But someone mentioned it was a 5th grade game, so it could have been in a very small gym where there isn't the normal 4ft behind the plane of the front face of the backboard. That would make this more plausible.
Backside or support apparatus, or if the ball goes over a rectangular backboard = OOB violation. The bottom of the backboard and the flange/rim are inbounds, so no violation.
is there a rule that allows a try before the ball goes inbound?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post

Is this a joke?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
I'll be nicer.

No, there is not. You can make a throw-in pass toward the basket, but it has to touch a player first. So can you alley-oop off a throw-in? Sure! But if you score directly, lodge the ball, or cause it to come to rest on the flange, it's a throw-in violation.

The initial touching of the throw-in can coincide with basket interference (I believe we had this discussion recently in another thread).
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'll be nicer.

No, there is not. You can make a throw-in pass toward the basket, but it has to touch a player first. So can you alley-oop off a throw-in? Sure! But if you score directly, lodge the ball, or cause it to come to rest on the flange, it's a throw-in violation.

The initial touching of the throw-in can coincide with basket interference (I believe we had this discussion recently in another thread).
What's the definition of a try?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 02:42pm
In Time Out

Old Tue Jan 20, 2015, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Yoda is incorrect. A try is an event that may occur as explicitly defined in NFHS 4-41-2 and NCAA 5-1.1.