The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Shot, Foul, good bucket, ball

I have had this a couple of times over the 15 years. I prefer not to call it but, I did just the other day.

Shot goes up by A1 near 3 point line, I am lead. B2 shoves A2 hard to get rebounding position. I call the foul on the shove, basket goes. Ball back to Team A at the baseline.

If it weren't a hard foul on the base line, I would give a warning to keep their hands off. And I hate counting a basket and giving the ball back to A, but it what has to be done.

Am I wrong?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

A call or two on pushing during rebounding will clean things up pretty quick. A hard shove as you describe needs a call regardless of what happens with the shot.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
A call or two on pushing during rebounding will clean things up pretty quick. A hard shove as you describe needs a call regardless of what happens with the shot.
I agree. I know clinicians and evaluators aren't the biggest fan of this call in general (and especially on free throws), but a good hard shove is easy to see and deserves a whistle. If it's more marginal, maybe wait to see if the shot goes in or it affects the rebound, but admittedly this can sometimes result in an exceptionally delayed whistle.

HokiePaul is right, good call selection here, especially early, is a useful tool for cleaning up garbage early.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Jan 14, 2015 at 12:08pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have had this happen once or twice. What's more common, as in maybe once every other year, is 3 point shooter takes shot lands and defender runs through him. Count the basket then ball OOB.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I called one like this yesterday on a teammate of the free thrower during the successful free throw. The player shoved an opponent while the try was in flight. She knew exactly what she had done. It was an easy call. Probably only the second or third non-PC common foul I've called this season during a try.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
And I hate counting a basket and giving the ball back to A, but it what has to be done.
This is why in the NBA they give one free throw to the fouled rebounder instead. But I doubt it happens enough that anyone is going to get motivated to change the NFHS rule.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it is obvious, call it. Why put yourself in the trick bag for not calling it and having a retaliation of some kind later just not to upset anyone?

Now I will call these but the contact has to be there and obvious, but I would rather call this now than have to deal with the consequences of no calls later.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:36pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I agree. I know clinicians and evaluators aren't the biggest fan of this call in general (and especially on free throws), ....
Beautifully timed thread.

Last Friday, JV boys, rivalry game. To my good fortune, the varsity game was covered by a friend, a highly respected veteran.

In my game, A-1 is shooting the second of two free throws, double bonus. I'm the L. After the release, I had a holding (vise-grip like) foul on B-2. This is one I knew I immediately had to get (and I can't remember the last time I called that on a free throw). Whistle, count the free throw, holding on B-2, A-3 is now shooting two, as cries of exasperation rain down from the A faithful.

After the game, in the locker room, my partner expresses confusion as to what I called there. I walk him through it. My veteran friend is listening in, says that's right, but cautions me to be very careful with those calls on shots already released.

Varsity game, my friend is the L. A-1 launches a three, and after the release, he has B-2 with a pushing (significant shoving) foul. Whistle, count the three, pushing B-2, A's ball on the end line. Meanwhile, I'm watching from the opposite end with "hey, wait a minute!" ringing in my head.

Of course, I ribbed him about it later. (The nerve of the JV official.) The point is, though, we were both selective about such rulings. While such fouls certainly didn't affect the play, sometimes, you have to clean things up. If you don't, the night may become longer. Mine was long enough, as evident by the double foul I had with five seconds left in a 20-point game.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Bainsey, I'm (and pretty much all partners I've worked with) more forgiving on the "potential" rebounding action than a shooter that lands and get's rail roaded.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 03:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I have had this a couple of times over the 15 years. I prefer not to call it but, I did just the other day.

Shot goes up by A1 near 3 point line, I am lead. B2 shoves A2 hard to get rebounding position. I call the foul on the shove, basket goes. Ball back to Team A at the baseline.

If it weren't a hard foul on the base line, I would give a warning to keep their hands off. And I hate counting a basket and giving the ball back to A, but it what has to be done.

Am I wrong?

Only thing I think might be wrong is hating it. I actually had one of these last night in a BV game. Two handed shove by the defense. No argument about the foul, but both coaches of the offending team were positive that the penalty was wrong, called a timeout to ask about it.

"There's no way they get the basket and get to keep the ball."

wow

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 03:22pm
TODO: creative title here

Just imagine how perplexed those coaches would've been if Team A had been in the bonus when the foul occurred.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 03:24pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Just imagine how perplexed those coaches would've been if Team A had been in the bonus when the foul occurred.
I had that this season, albeit on a missed 3 pointer.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

So I jinxed myself. Had this today in the exact scenario I mentioned that it happens in most of the time.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I agree. I know clinicians and evaluators aren't the biggest fan of this call in general (and especially on free throws), but a good hard shove is easy to see and deserves a whistle. If it's more marginal, maybe wait to see if the shot goes in or it affects the rebound, but admittedly this can sometimes result in an exceptionally delayed whistle.

HokiePaul is right, good call selection here, especially early, is a useful tool for cleaning up garbage early.
Maybe I'm wrong for thinking like this, but both coaches are watching the shot. They usually have no idea how late my whistle is unless the foul creates major space between the two players. Marginal- I'm holding. Shot misses rebound even goes remotely in their direction I'm putting air in it. Two hand shove in the back- I'm getting it right then. To me those are the kind that start retaliation in motion.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree Biggravy.