The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I've had players look at each other crossly after a hard foul, so I'll close in to about 3-4 feet and even say "easy" so the players know I'm close by and watching--and ready to address or penalize any extracurriculars if need be.

Regarding the video, the center official seemed totally oblivious to the contact that happened right in front of him. I have to agree that stepping in to get the foul on White #4 could have helped minimize the chance the brouhaha even occurred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is because he couldn't see the initial forearm chuck from where he is standing. He is too low and gets straight-lined. Put him a step above the FTE and he has a quality look at this contact. Positioning and angles make all the difference.
While I'm on that point the T is way too high and not connected to the play. He can't help the C from way out there and that is the secondary failure here. Put him down around the 28-foot line and he will be far more comfortable whistling the contact just inside the FT lane.

PS Finally a fight video of an actual fight! That was a true melee.
Even with bad positioning, the C is oblivious to the first couple of blows also. That a total lack of game awareness.

I've been working hard all season on staying connected to plays as the Trail, and using the 28' line as my home base.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=deecee;950083]I make it a habit of generally weird looking contact and calls to come in with a hard whistle and get right into the players. I also do this for any crashes, hard contact, etc. I blow and stand right between them, that calms them down. But for christ sake do not blow and just start walking towards the table. blow, freeze, assess then either walk to the table to close down, but be quick about it and defuse.[/QUOTE

Deecee, there are a lot more important things that could be done for His sake. A respectful way to start might be to at least capitalize the title of the Savior.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is because he couldn't see the initial forearm chuck from where he is standing. He is too low and gets straight-lined. Put him a step above the FTE and he has a quality look at this contact. Positioning and angles make all the difference.
While I'm on that point the T is way too high and not connected to the play. He can't help the C from way out there and that is the secondary failure here. Put him down around the 28-foot line and he will be far more comfortable whistling the contact just inside the FT lane.

PS Finally a fight video of an actual fight! That was a true melee.
Look at the C's head he is not even looking at his primary when the first two potential fouls happen, he is staring at the throw in spot.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:31pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra View Post
Look at the C's head he is not even looking at his primary when the first two potential fouls happen, he is staring at the throw in spot.
He is never really looking at those players. That's why I am not convinced he is even calling a foul. Pretty sure he is calling something to do with the clock.

Also...watch the C during the fight. He grabs onto one player and holds him almost the entire time. Not a smart move there, either.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;950274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I make it a habit of generally weird looking contact and calls to come in with a hard whistle and get right into the players. I also do this for any crashes, hard contact, etc. I blow and stand right between them, that calms them down. But for christ sake do not blow and just start walking towards the table. blow, freeze, assess then either walk to the table to close down, but be quick about it and defuse.[/QUOTE

Deecee, there are a lot more important things that could be done for His sake. A respectful way to start might be to at least capitalize the title of the Savior.
This is a forum for basketball officiating not perpetuating your religious beliefs. I may not, and most likely don't, subscribe to your specific set of beliefs. Let's keep it that way and keep the focus on basketball.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
He is never really looking at those players. That's why I am not convinced he is even calling a foul. Pretty sure he is calling something to do with the clock.

Also...watch the C during the fight. He grabs onto one player and holds him almost the entire time. Not a smart move there, either.
That's what I thought. He appears to be watching the throw-in as it is happening, then casually strolls across the court with an open hand.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=deecee;950312]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post

This is a forum for basketball officiating not perpetuating your religious beliefs. I may not, and most likely don't, subscribe to your specific set of beliefs. Let's keep it that way and keep the focus on basketball.
I've always been good with that, deecee. And it would be a most considerate show of respect on your part not to make an inappropriate reference to the religion of others on the forum. Are you good with that, sir?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

God Bless America (Irving Berlin, 1918) ...

(Anybody remember Kate Smith?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
And it would be a most considerate show of respect on your part not to make an inappropriate reference to the religion of others on the forum.
I've been using the same signature (below) for almost ten years and have not heard one single complaint. Nor would I complain if a Forum member used a signature related to a non-Christian religion, or to an atheist, or agnostic belief. We're a melting pot. Let's embrace the diversity in this great country, and not hide it behind a curtain.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 14, 2015 at 05:24pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=billyu2;950356]
Quote:

I've always been good with that, deecee. And it would be a most considerate show of respect on your part not to make an inappropriate reference to the religion of others on the forum. Are you good with that, sir?
If not capitalizing the c upsets you then I don't really know or have much to say do I. Not sure my comment was inappropriate or derogatory to any religion.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 07:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Politically Correct ???

Quote:
If not capitalizing the c upsets you then I don't really know or have much to say do I. Not sure my comment was inappropriate or derogatory to any religion.
Je suis Charlie.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Really hoping that there doesn't have to be any moderation involved because a certain noun is/isn't capitalized. Assume the best in the poster and assume he/she didn't mean any malice.

As to the video...well...

First thing I noticed, and Nevada pointed this out...the trail is so far out of the play. He has absolutely no connection to the play at hand and by taking a position where he is, he's mentally made it more difficult for him to come in make call if needed. Trail should ideally be at about the 28' mark unless the ball actually takes him out further.

As to the slot...this the why people talk about having a strong slot/center. This sequence is exact reason why people should advocate for using 3....assuming the slot/center does what he's suppose to do. A slot doing what he's suppose to do...gets the first foul...at very worst, the 2nd foul. He fails in just every way possible. The worst part of all this is the center/slot has no urgency or feel for the game on this play when he calls whatever he called (I didn't see a clock issue at all). At the absolutely worse...you miss the two fouls on this play...you have to be aware of players going to the floor and then squaring off like they did. If he closes in with a strong presence, maybe he's able to hold off the melee. But by the time he recognizes what is happening, it's too late.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.