The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Kentucky women's coach ejected (Video)

2:18 second half vs. South Carolina on ESPN. Matthew Mitchell wanted a foul call and was promptly whacked twice. I thought it was well-handled by the crew. The trail gave the first whack, then the lead walks over to help out and delivers the second.

This was about two minutes after one of Kentucky's best players suffered a dislocated ankle.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 07:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
2:18 second half vs. South Carolina on ESPN. Matthew Mitchell wanted a foul call and was promptly whacked twice. I thought it was well-handled by the crew. The trail gave the first whack, then the lead walks over to help out and delivers the second.

This was about two minutes after one of Kentucky's best players suffered a dislocated ankle.

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 10:09pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I watched this game as well. The dislocated ankle was pretty gruesome... Hope she heals up OK.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

jeschmit, thanks for the vid!

Looks like the T and L actually issued the first TF at the same time (L might have even signaled it half a second earlier), but then the L realized T was right there and had it, so he gave it up.

Indeed, this left the door open for the second TF (well deserved) while T was reporting the first one. Meanwhile C kept an eye on the all of the players. Well handled by the crew.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 10:39pm
AremRed

Might be a foul on the drive but I don't see a foul on the rebound. Well handled by the crew and, I don't say this often, kudos to the coach for leaving right away and not making a scene.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't see any action warranting a second technical, but I can't hear the coach's words to the Lead. The first T is clear.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't see any action warranting a second technical, but I can't hear the coach's words to the Lead. The first T is clear.
That's kind of what I thought ... at least based on what sort of leeway college coaches are usually given. It seems after an initial T, if the coach stays put at their bench, they are usually given an opportunity to cool down (or a chance for assistants to step in and calm the coach down) before a second T.

But something could have been said. Although Coach seemed fine with being tossed and promptly left. Maybe he was looking for an early exit.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
That's kind of what I thought ... at least based on what sort of leeway college coaches are usually given. It seems after an initial T, if the coach stays put at their bench, they are usually given an opportunity to cool down (or a chance for assistants to step in and calm the coach down) before a second T.

But something could have been said. Although Coach seemed fine with being tossed and promptly left. Maybe he was looking for an early exit.
I work on the men's side (not D1), but we are supervised by a prominent D1 official and we wouldn't give the 2nd T for that (unless the language was very bad and personally directed). I'd let the coach hang himself a little more. It is likely the conference and/or supervisor have told them to take care of business and they simply followed instruction. I also work a JUCO and NAIA league that would want the 2nd T issued that quick so it may be a when in Rome scenario.....
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 10:57am
beware big brother

Based on how the coach reacts after given the second T, leaving without arguing or saying another word, I don't understand why people here would think the second T was too fast or undeserved. Given his reaction, the coach knows he was way out of line for whatever was said. Most of the time when coaches are Td and tossed, they will spend time arguing that one if not both Ts were undeserved. Given that the coach doesn't complain about either T speaks volumes as to their merit.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Difficult to judge as I'm not pirvy to words, and the coach doesn't seem shocked by either.

That being said 2nd T seems quick here. He has just been given the first. He doesn't chase down an official or run the sideline or strip just turns and there is an official there and seems to continue downt he general vein he had started before the first official T'd and walked away.

Not saying he didn't deserve. In these situations in most college games though I see the coach given more room and time. I routinely see plays when watching college games where with or without T's coaches after the official walks away coaches are still loudly complaining.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

The second T came from the official Coach was upset at, so his tantrum got the first T from the Trail, and when he gestures to the Lead it was more than likely accompanied by a choice phrase.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:45pm

The lead is coming out and gives him the stop sign and he gestures at almost the same time and says something to the lead which gets the 2nd T right away. It is quick but I thought it was justified. The coaches (are supposed to) know when they see the stop sign the line has been drawn.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the argument that the second was "too quick." The first T is the warning for a coach, and if he wants to continue, then the game can continue without him. I don't believe a coach should be allowed to "get his money's worth" when he gets his first T.

The ejecting official was Bryan Enterline–I'm sure he knew what he was doing.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 01:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Based on how the coach reacts after given the second T, leaving without arguing or saying another word, I don't understand why people here would think the second T was too fast or undeserved. Given his reaction, the coach knows he was way out of line for whatever was said. Most of the time when coaches are Td and tossed, they will spend time arguing that one if not both Ts were undeserved. Given that the coach doesn't complain about either T speaks volumes as to their merit.
This. I'm amazed that people would make judgments without knowing what was said.

Actually, I'm not.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
The lead is coming out and gives him the stop sign and he gestures at almost the same time and says something to the lead which gets the 2nd T right away. It is quick but I thought it was justified. The coaches (are supposed to) know when they see the stop sign the line has been drawn.
The question that must be asked is whether the second T would have occurred had the Lead stayed away from the coach. The Trail just whacked him. The coach was upset by the Lead's no-call. As the Lead, I would have been satisfied that my partner backed me and handled the situation. I would have walked to the opposite side of the FT lane. I'm certainly not going directly over to coach. Give him some time to cool down while the 2FT are administered.