The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 12:49pm
In Time Out

NBA weird play- in NFHS?

in the warriors game. Irving went up for a shot, Barnes pushes Mozgov into Irving so it is the screener making contact on Irving. Ref calls the foul and Irving makes the shot. Mozgov shoots one free throw. Would that be the same for NFHS?
For NFHS
The ball was released Would have it been different if it hadn't been, but in motion?
If the shot was missed? Does the screener shoot fts? Is it a two shot say if it is bonus do you go there, or not in bonus would it be non-shooting then just have the offensive team take the ball out?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 01:02pm
Stubborn Member

I read the OP wrong, so I have to change this...

It would be a shot attempt whether the ball was released or not. The start of the attempt is a part of the shot, therefore the result is still in play.

Whether the shot is made or missed has nothing to do with the result of the foul. The foul is going to be penalized as it was against the screener. The shot only matters in whether or not the shooting team is given points or not.

Last edited by BryanV21; Sat Jan 10, 2015 at 01:14pm.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I read the OP wrong, so I have to change this...

It would be a shot attempt whether the ball was released or not. The start of the attempt is a part of the shot, therefore the result is still in play.

Whether the shot is made or missed has nothing to do with the result of the foul. The foul is going to be penalized as it was against the screener. The shot only matters in whether or not the shooting team is given points or not.
Meaning the shot counts if it goes and the screener will either get 2 shots, 1+1, or team A will get the ball OOB depending on the team foul count.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 08:13pm
In Time Out

I'm pretty sure it was just an And 1 for the NBA. Seems like what you said makes more sense.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
in the warriors game. Irving went up for a shot, Barnes pushes Mozgov into Irving so it is the screener making contact on Irving. Ref calls the foul and Irving makes the shot. Mozgov shoots one free throw. Would that be the same for NFHS?
For NFHS
The ball was released Would have it been different if it hadn't been, but in motion?
If the shot was missed? Does the screener shoot fts? Is it a two shot say if it is bonus do you go there, or not in bonus would it be non-shooting then just have the offensive team take the ball out?
The NBA and NFHS differ greatly on this play.

The NBA rule is that if the try counts the fouled player (the screener) shoots only 1 FT. I don't know the NBA rule if the try is missed.

The NFHS rules are that the try being made or missed has nothing to do with a foul on a non-shooter. The try will count if made. The foul is penalized according to the applicable bonus situation--either 2 FTs, 1-1, or no FTs and a throw-in being awarded.

Curiously, I had it happen in a game last night. The team was not in the bonus and the try was not successful, so the offended team merely got the ball for a throw-in.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
T

The NBA rule is that if the try counts the fouled player (the screener) shoots only 1 FT. I don't know the NBA rule if the try is missed.
If the field goal attempt (try) was missed, A1 (the shooter) would receive two shots.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 11:38pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If the field goal attempt (try) was missed, A1 (the shooter) would receive two shots.
APG: Could you expand on the ruling in NBA this year about defender 'pushing' the screener. Is it normal for this to be called by an off ball official?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I understand their philosophy of having the screener (A2) get 1 shot if A1's shot goes in. But why would A1 get the shots? A1 wasn't fouled? Shouldn't A2 be shooting any shots that are due since A2 was fouled? Is the idea that the foul indirectly disrupted the shooter?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 12:20am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
For NFHS

Whether it is NFHS, NCAA Men's & Women's, FIB, and NBA/WNBA we have Continuous Motion is this play.

We score A1's FG attempt if it is successful, and Team A receives the ball for a Throw-in for FT attempts as appropriate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Jan 11, 2015 at 02:20am. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 02:17am
AremRed

College guys, how would you handle this in an NCAA-M game?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
College guys, how would you handle this in an NCAA-M game?
The same way as under NFHS rules.