The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Ole Miss vs Kentucky Simultaneous Foul (Video)

I am still baffled as to what the officials called at the 2:56 2nd half. Old Miss has ball in its front court. They run a what appears to be a screen play. The Ole Miss player slightly bumps the Kentucky player as he tries to avoids screen to follow dribbler. First I heard one whistle. Pause in the action. Then all 3 refs get together. Apparantly they had a double whistle. They decided to call a double foul. Throw in at the spot of the foul for Old Miss.I did not see a double foul on that play.

Also at the 7 minute mark or so 2nd half, Ole Miss shoots and makes a 3. Apparantly the discussion for the next 4 minutes was whether it should be a 2. Was foot on line or not. There were at least 2 tv timeouts in the process. The officials went to the monitor 2 or 3 times. Score was 71-74 Kentucky when they finally decided to take 1 point away from Ole Miss with 3 minutes remaining. Strange sequence there. Any thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Per the play-by-play, there was a foul called on each team at the 2:56 mark.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 12:14pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I won't get to them tonight (got a 3hr drive tonight), but if no one has them up by tomorrow night I'll get them up when I get home from my game.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Per the play-by-play, there was a foul called on each team at the 2:56 mark.
Sounds like they had a simultaneous personal foul, for which there is no signal (hence why you couldn't tell what it was). But seems like they handled it right because this is a POI play and they put the ball in play at the POI. Shot clock should also not have reset.

Will be fun to see the video and look for the contact away from the screen as well as to confirm the shot clock was not reset.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:40am
Eschew obfuscation.

Here's the foul call.

As far as the 2 or 3: It looked like they went to look during the first media timeout and couldn't get the angle they wanted. They then decided to wait until the next media to get the better angle. It was clearly a two, but it was a little weird as to how they went about it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:53am
Courageous When Prudent

First of all, that was a clear body bump/RSBQ foul that John Adams wants called. But we all get calls wrong, so that's really nothing to harp on. The problem is that the Trail goes directly to the player control foul, and does so with a lot more fanfare than is needed.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:57am
AremRed

The illegal screen obviously happens before the hand check, but both whistles go at the same time so I'm fine with the result. I didn't think the screen was that bad personally.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:57am
AremRed

Quote:
First of all, that was a clear body bump/RSBQ foul that John Adams wants called. But we all get calls wrong, so that's really nothing to harp on. The problem is that the Trail goes directly to the player control foul, and does so with a lot more fanfare than is needed.
I think Trail had an illegal screen, what do you think?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 08:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Aw, let me take another look. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say there was contact. Assuming that, then the illegal screen caused the body bump, so there should not have been a double foul.

Still not a fan of the mechanic by the Trail. Visiting team, down by 5, with under 3 minutes left--don't rub salt in the would with grandiose signals and multiple tweets of the whistle. JMHO
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The illegal screen obviously happens before the hand check, but both whistles go at the same time so I'm fine with the result. I didn't think the screen was that bad personally.
Illegal screen, displacement, push, chuck....whatever it was, it was a very delayed whistle. I tend to think the T could have relayed this info to the L so the L's foul could be ignored (L didn't have a prelim signal...good...so this would have worked). But a simultaneous foul is probably equally sellable and works well for game control if things were getting chippy.

Good rules knowledge by going POI afterwards. You can always tell the guys who didn't read through the rule and casebooks before the season. Not an issue with this crew.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 03:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Still not a fan of the mechanic by the Trail. Visiting team, down by 5, with under 3 minutes left--don't rub salt in the would with grandiose signals and multiple tweets of the whistle. JMHO
Down by 5 with 3 minutes left is rubbing salt in the wound? I don't think it's that, I think Trail was trying to sell a marginal call in a close game. What do you think?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 03:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Down by 5 with 3 minutes left is rubbing salt in the wound? I don't think it's that, I think Trail was trying to sell a marginal call in a close game. What do you think?
IMO, if he were selling the call he would have closed down hard to the point of action with his fist up first, follow by a clear indication of what foul he was calling.

It took you telling me it was an illegal screen for me to even realize what action he was calling the foul on.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 04:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I agree that's what he had, I also think it's marginal and clearly before the defensive foul. That said he did have a later whistle which made it seem like they were simultaneous fouls.

I'm wondering if he hadn't turned all the way around to point the other way, would he have realized his foul was first? I don't know, just wondering.