The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Gave ball to the wrong team

Boys varsity 3 whistle game. I am at Lead. The Trail official is a veteran and someone I call several games with, but I struggle greatly understanding him when he speaks. He calls a push on "number 23" on a rebound, but I did not hear him say which team. He did not communicate to me whether it was to be White or Blue ball. All players start going the other way and I see number 23 Blue is heading down court to play defense. Figured he was the guilty party. Our 3rd official is heading down court with the players. White steps out to take the ball and everything seems hunky-dory. After the ball is advanced over the centerline I hear a whistle. My partner that had called the push stopped the game to say it should be Blue ball. Oh crap. He first makes sure the official bookkeeper recorded a foul on 23 White, which he had. Then, his plan is to go back to the spot of the throw-in and give Blue the ball. Only problem is, as I understand the rules, he has no authority to do this. After a brief meeting, he decides as R he is making the decision to give Blue the ball.

All this could have been avoided had I taken the time to get a clarification of whose ball it is. All my other evidence (players going down court, 23 is in the game, other partner heading down court, etc.) apparently was misleading. Geez.

So, after seeing the ball already inbounded by the wrong team, I'm saying by rule we should have played on. Am I correct?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 08:51pm
We don't rent pigs

You're right. Once the throw-in is complete, it's too late to correct it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

7-6-6

When an official administers a throw-in to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Hit And Run ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
He calls a push on "number 23" on a rebound, but I did not hear him say which team. He did not communicate to me whether it was to be White or Blue ball.
Shows why mechanics are important.

Sound the whistle for the foul. Raise one arm, fist clinched. Step toward player who committed the foul. Bird dog if needed. State the color, and number, of the player that committed the foul. Give a preliminary signal. Point to the designated spot, or indicate how many free throws, and the free throw shooter. Maintain eye contact with partner throughout this procedure. Only then should the calling official head to the reporting area.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Shows why mechanics are important.

Sound the whistle for the foul. Raise one arm, fist clinched. Step toward player who committed the foul. Bird dog if needed. State the color, and number, of the player that committed the foul. Give a preliminary signal. Point to the designated spot, or indicate how many free throws, and the free throw shooter. Maintain eye contact with partner throughout this procedure. Only then should the calling official head to the reporting area.
Well, I can guarantee I don't go through that rigamarole every time I call a foul. But if there's a rebounding foul and we're staying at that end, I'm damned certain to let my partners know that.

The R has no special authority to set aside a rule here. I do not understand why everyone seems to think the R has all these special powers -- this isn't football.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

The R has no special authority to set aside a rule here. I do not understand why everyone seems to think the R has all these special powers -- this isn't football.
There's only a few things the R (alone) can do, and, other than the toss, if we're doing any of them the whole crew is getting together
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 02:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Local Mechanics ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Well, I can guarantee I don't go through that rigamarole every time I call a foul.
Just exactly what do you skip? And why? One of those "When in Rome .." things?

I often skip the mechanic, "indicate ... the free throw shooter", at least orally. I tried doing this many years ago and found that on my way to the reporting area I would sometimes confuse the number of the fouler with the foulee. If the shooter is obvious, I skip the mechanic completely. If I believe that my partner will question who the shooter was (rebounding mosh pit, foul away from the ball, etc.), I will point (not the bird dog point, but a finger point) to the shooter, state "shooter", and get a quick look at the appearance (but not the number) of the shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 06, 2015 at 05:16pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 07:36am
Official & Member

This scenario is a perfect example why I start EVERY pre-game discussion with CREW COMMUNICATION. It will solve 90% of the problems that a crew creates itself. It's going to happen in every game so take steps be prepared. Someone loses the fouler's number...table screws up the arrow....was it a 3 or a 2? Eye contact on every dead ball and the first communication after a whistle is with your partner(s). It seems obvious but I'm amazed at the lack of communication skills by veterans.

Don't want to sound preachy but, in the original post...if you can't understand him when he speaks why not try to make communication a topic before the game?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm clear on what my partner called, I just ask. Ill shout across the court like "white ball" while looking at him before I put the ball in play to see if its right or not. If it's wrong he would communicate that it should be "blue's ball" or whatever. But once it's inbounded its a screw up that cannot be changed.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 04:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

How many times has a coach asked you, "Whose ball is it?" Whenever that happens, I look at the ball and say, "Some kid named Spaulding" (or Wilson, or whatever). I suggest you try this next time.