Thread: Assistant Coach
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We do not do everything because a rulebook says so. We do a lot of things because they are best practices.

Honestly it is up to each official to decide what they accept or do not accept. We already use discretion on the rulebook when it comes to being questioned about our judgment. I will have a dialogue much more with HC than anyone else. But for the most part, I do not like talking to assistants. Because if I tell an assistant one thing, it might not get said to the HC. I would rather give the horse's mouth my words than someone else that might not communicate to the person in charge properly.

Peace
I happen to agree. We do many things because they are best practice. During a live ball or any quick interaction I prefer to talk to the head coach. He is the one that is likely to make any decisions anyway. However, I understand if during a time out an assistant has a question. As long as the assistant is respectful and has a question I will answer it during a time out. I will sometimes give the head coach a sentence during a live ball or to explain a call that was just made. As I said, the only time I will talk to an assistant is during a time out, they are there to assist the coach, that is what they are doing during a time out if they are coming with a question.