The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy fans...

Who has time to do this research?

Your officials are Karl Hess, Roger Ayers, Michael Roberts | Kentucky Sports Radio
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Students on winter break.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Since I haven't made my way over here from the small diamond board for a while to make trouble. Let me make a couple of comments. I suspect there's something of a Rorschach test in how one sees officials impacting a game in the way you look at a story like this. For example, if your initial reaction to this is to believe that Ayers must be out to get Kentucky then that says something about how you see the game. Similarly if you see it as ridiculous that fans would care about an official potentially affecting them negatively, that probably says something too.

Anyway, with that in mind, let me see if I can't throw some fuel on the fans fire. I'm a programmer by day and it's the work of just a few minutes to get my computer to simulate the chances that an official randomly assigned to John Calipari Kentucky games 7 times would only see Kentucky win twice.

In 10 million simulations, it happened about .3% of the time. In about any scientific study, they'd use that to reject the hypothesis that he had no affect on whether the team would win. In fact they'd tend to do that even if it happened 4-5% of the time, so this is pretty conclusive by the way science is done.

So what's going on here? I suspect that mostly it comes down to the fact that officials aren't randomly assigned. Assigners tend to send better officials to games that are bigger or more likely to need better officials. Ayers has seen Kentucky lose to Duke, @Georgia, @Arkansas, and @North Carolina twice. The wins are @Tenessee and Ohio State. 2-5 against that schedule isn't exactly a statistical anomaly of any great perspective.

Which isn't to say anything whatsoever about how Ayers officiates, he could well be doing something that makes it less likely that Kentucky will win but the statistical argument is much weaker than it seems when you know how games are assigned.

Returning to my lurker mode.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 09:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Good for Roger, he take care of business.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2014, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm much more concerned about what stupid comments Jay Bilas will have during the game than whether or not Ayers whacks Calipari.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 12:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm much more concerned about what stupid comments Jay Bilas will have during the game than whether or not Ayers whacks Calipari.

Why would you be concerned about what that yahoo thinks or says?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 12:50am
AremRed

Was the officiating crew announced or something?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Was the officiating crew announced or something?
Somehow it was leaked. Karl Hess, Roger Ayers, Mike Roberts.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Why would you be concerned about what that yahoo thinks or says?

MTD, Sr.
Sarcasm.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 01:25am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Somehow it was leaked. Karl Hess, Roger Ayers, Mike Roberts.
That's a good crew. Perhaps Clougherty should pull a switcheroo and throw Kersey, Natili, and Greene out there.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

These guys are crazy if they think these numbers are actually indicative of any sort of conscious or unconscious bias. Roger Ayers is one of the top officials in college basketball, so it would stand to reason that he's assigned more meaningful games. As an educated guess, UK probably loses 6-7 games a year on average. Generally speaking, those losses typically come against the likes of UConn, Florida, Louisville, Duke, etc. Those losses typically do not come against programs like Vanderbilt, Mississippi St., Marshall, etc. On which games do you suppose Roger Ayers is more likely to be assigned? Do you think Calipari is more likely to get emotional in a highly-contested, high-stakes game than in a 25-point UK blowout? All this means is that the UK games Roger Ayers is on are generally the big ones.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

If you think that research is crazy, head on over to @NBARefStats on Twitter (if you're cool enough to have a Twitter that is).
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 05:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
That's a good crew. Perhaps Clougherty should pull a switcheroo and throw Kersey, Natili, and Greene out there.
Why?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's True, It's True, Ask Oliver Stone ...

And Karl Hess, Roger Ayers, and Mike Roberts were on the grassy knoll.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 27, 2014, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Since I haven't made my way over here from the small diamond board for a while to make trouble. Let me make a couple of comments. I suspect there's something of a Rorschach test in how one sees officials impacting a game in the way you look at a story like this. For example, if your initial reaction to this is to believe that Ayers must be out to get Kentucky then that says something about how you see the game. Similarly if you see it as ridiculous that fans would care about an official potentially affecting them negatively, that probably says something too.

Anyway, with that in mind, let me see if I can't throw some fuel on the fans fire. I'm a programmer by day and it's the work of just a few minutes to get my computer to simulate the chances that an official randomly assigned to John Calipari Kentucky games 7 times would only see Kentucky win twice.

In 10 million simulations, it happened about .3% of the time. In about any scientific study, they'd use that to reject the hypothesis that he had no affect on whether the team would win. In fact they'd tend to do that even if it happened 4-5% of the time, so this is pretty conclusive by the way science is done.

So what's going on here? I suspect that mostly it comes down to the fact that officials aren't randomly assigned. Assigners tend to send better officials to games that are bigger or more likely to need better officials. Ayers has seen Kentucky lose to Duke, @Georgia, @Arkansas, and @North Carolina twice. The wins are @Tenessee and Ohio State. 2-5 against that schedule isn't exactly a statistical anomaly of any great perspective.

Which isn't to say anything whatsoever about how Ayers officiates, he could well be doing something that makes it less likely that Kentucky will win but the statistical argument is much weaker than it seems when you know how games are assigned.

Returning to my lurker mode.
Fascinating analysis, but I'll have to check the number out of my own nerdish desire. It seems on the surface that, even without taking into account the way games are assigned, the margin for error on a sample size of 7 would be rather large.
3.5 games would be the expected number of wins.
2 isn't that far off.

edited to add: I recognize the expected number of wins is more than 3.5 given UK's standard winning percentage. My math is way off at this point.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Dec 27, 2014 at 11:02am. Reason: oops